Oliver Carter - RIP

jinnyj

Senior Jockey
As I know some on here were fairly vocal in their opnions of the late Oliver Carter and his rather eccentric handling of Venn Ottery amongst others - before died apparently he was asked to leave at least 4 nursing homes due to "bad behaviour!"

From the RP website.
Colourful character Carter dies aged 90 FORMER Whitbread Gold Cup-winning trainer Oliver Carter, whose colourful behaviour often triggered affection and anger in equal measure, died on Saturday evening aged 90.

The passionate but fiercely stubborn Carter, who passed away in Taunton's Musgrove Hospital after developing pneumonia, enjoyed the finest moment of his long racing life when sending out Otter Way to win the 1976 Whitbread.
Long-term friend Chris Down, who both rode and trained for Carter, said: "Oliver was a real character and definitely his own man. I got on with him very well, and though we had our differences of opinion, we respected each other's views.
"He was a man who wasn't afraid to say what he thought, regardless of who he was talking about."

I remember backing Otter Way at 15/2 in that Whitbread. Jeff King rode. The horse looked like he might go on to even better things but was basically disappointing afterwards although I think he won his share of hunter chases when in the "veteran" category.

Carter was obviously a "character", judging by the reports.

I did wonder having seen his colours in a different name recently (daughter perhaps) if he was coming towards the end of what has been a pretty good innings.

Still can't forget standing at the second last in the Champion Chase with Venn Ottery cruising and thinking,bloody hell he might win this.
And yet he didn't even place in the end.

RIP

Back