On The Gallops

Flame

At the Start
Friday 24th April

Peter Chapple-Hyam has his team in excellent order at present and working around the bend on Friday morning Monitor Closely (Alan Munro) moved nicely in his first gallop since his commendable 2nd in the Tattersalls race at Newmarket. Led by Al Qasi the pair went a strong gallop right from the bottom of the Round Gallop and it was Monitor Closely who strode out nicely towards the end of the work suggesting he has improved since Newmarket last time. He is sure to head for the 10f listed race for colts and geldings on Saturday at Newmarket.

Palacefield is another to continues to impress in his work and over 7f he stretched out well taking the measure of Warwick winner Maxwell Hawke. Sitting on his inside, Palacefield travelled much the better of the pair suggesting he could be of serious interest at Thirsk on Saturday.

Leicester winner Sayif moved nicely under Jamie Spencer in his 6f gallop. Tracking through Fat Boy (Adrian McCarthy) the son of Kheleyf suggested he was in top form at present and that he could be a force to be reckoned with in the Duke Of York Stakes in the middle of next month.

Sir Mark Prescott was over on the Al Bahathri this morning and he worked a fair number of his nice types in what I would say was his first serious workout of the year.

Prescription (Stephen Donohoe) makes the long journey north to Musselburgh on Friday and its fair to say she could be just what the doctor ordered. The 4yo daughter of Pivotal improved with every start last season and she looks to have done exceptionally well in the winter months. Tracking through Starlit Sands (Seb Sanders) over 6f it was seriously hard not to have been impressed by Prescription as she quickened up impressively taking 3/4L easily out of her work companion. Rated 86 Prescription looks the one to get the Prescott teams ball rolling on Friday given her companion is rated some 16lb higher at present.

Speed Dating is another who must not be missed when making his return this week and he was thoroughly impressive in his 8f gallop. Led by Point Of Light and joined by Uncle Brit, the son of Pivotal has a couple of options on Thursday and Friday and gives the impression he could be very hard to beat off a mark of 59. Quickening up smartly he took two lengths easily out of his work companions and he certainly looked value for a lot more. Off a nice light weight over a mile at Redcar on Thursday he would make most appeal to me, whilst the Folkestone race off of 59 in a 0-60 would be the race I would like to see him in myself.

Completing a busy morning on the gallops Luca Cumani gave Curtain Call a searching gallop with Kieren Fallon on board. Led by consistent handicapper Bullet Man the 4yo travelled easily in behind before stretching some 6 – 7L clear for hand riding in the final couple of furlongs of the 7f gallop. For a horse who couldn’t live with Riggins in recent work, this was an encouraging gallop.

Major Phil was another on the Limekilns who took the eye and travelling easily alongsides Three Ducks, the pair went 3L clear of Paisley who didn’t really have any response to the front two’s turn of foot. Major Phil was going best at the end of the 7f gallop and looks in great order at present.

Axiom did little more than confirm his well being as he strode out well over 7f picking up by a length from Annabelle’s Charm and one other. In a fair gallop this was a pleasing workout for the mentioned pair.

Saturday 25th April

Sir Michael Stoute was the early bird up the Limekilns on Saturday morning and he worked a number of his useful prospects in some strong gallops.

Only doing a steady gallop was St Leger winner Conduit. Led by Meethaaq he moved easily in behind his lead being asked no questions before moving nicely alongsides. In what was little more than a half speed gallop it was a pleasing piece of work.

Lang Shining (Robert Winston) has slowly been brought to hand this season and he looked in good form as he worked 9f with regular work companion Ask. The pair went a fair but sensible gallop with Lang Shining holding a 1L advantage at the end of the gallop.

Spanish Moon (Ryan Moore) again impressed and he looked in top form as he pulled just over a length ahead of a scrubbed along Doctor Fremantle (J D Smith). In what was a decent gallop it was not hard to notice the ease in which Spanish Moon was travelling and he should be a steering job in the Jockey Club Cup at Newmarket on Sunday.

Harbinger (Robert Winston) completed the treble for the rider as he picked up in taking fashion to draw on by a couple of lengths in his work. The Wood Ditton 2nd has improved out of all recognition for the run and looks sure to be very hard to beat in maiden company next time out. Sitting last in his quartet which included Desert Creek (led)( D Smith), Marching Time (Ryan Moore) and Ave (Kieren Fallon), the once raced colt moved through stylishly string out in impressive style to suggest he was a class act. Under a hand ride Ave kept on nicely to go 2nd best giving the impression she could be a nice filly this term.

Henry Cecil was another trainer busy on Saturday morning and he used to Al Bahathri to put some work into his string.

Derby hopeful Native Ruler (Tom Queally) should be a case of point and steer at Pontefract on Wednesday and the son of Cape Cross quickened up impressively this morning taking a couple of lengths out of Sight Unseen (Jimmy Quinn) with a punched out Father Time last of the trio. Having run extremely green at Newmarket Native Ruler certainly looks to have done well for the run, and the recent rain that fell at Pontefract would be music to connections ears. With one eye firmly cast over the Dante next month, he is still working like a potential group performer and whilst his debut 2nd may have dented some people’s confidence a solid performance on Wednesday should put him back in the picture.

Earl Of Sefton disappointment Twice Over moved well in his 7f gallop this morning and he moved nicely alongsides Doncaster 2nd Unnefer. The pair went a decent gallop with Twice Over travelling best at the end of the work.

Workwatcher’s Notes

Sure Fire WinnerPrescription (Sir Mark Prescott) looks a filly going places this season and she is not one to be missed off a mark of 86 on Thursday. The daughter of Pivotal has impressed in her homework of late and should take all the beating in handicap company.

Class Act - Native Ruler (Henry Cecil) fills the spot once more and his work on Saturday morning keeps the dream alive. He impressed in what was a strong gallop on Saturday suggesting he will be extremely hard to beat at Pontefract on Wednesday before heading for the Dante.

Dark HorseTislaam (Mick Channon) is a nice 2yo by With Approval and he has been steadily catching the eye on the West Ilsley gallops working well with winners and 2yo’s that have previously won. He’ll probably need 6f to start off with but is showing enough to excite connections already.

Good Luck

Chris

Great stuff Flame (as usual) but I do not think it will be a steering job for Spanish Moon if Casual Conquest turns up.

Excellent write up again Chris - would agree with Gal that CC will certainly give Spanish Moon something to think about.

great write up again interested in the monitor closely running in the listed race on saturday does that mean the guineas is off again the agenda again?

he not in it is he and the supplement would be 75k for an oasis dream colt, i'm pretty sure he wouldn't get the distance on breeding and the way he runs looks like he may get seriously unbalanced at epsom???

Monitor Closely ain't good enough for a classic Beardo. I told you a month ago he wasn't going for the Guineas as he wants 10f, only if it was bottomless would he line up. He runs in the listed race.

I'm confused - if it was so patently obvious as long as a month ago that the colt is not good enough for a classic and would only conceivably run if it was bottomless why on earth would connections pay a four figure sum [on top of entry fees already paid] to keep him in at the 5 day stage when the going then was good to firm with only showers forecast? In the last few days the ground hasn't looked like being anything other than fast, with the track now planning on watering since the course is so quick!

Taken from Peter Chapple-Hyam himself

MONITOR CLOSELY returned to fast work today after giving a brave display to finish second in the £400,000 3-Y-O Trophy at Newmarket.
The Oasis Dream colt was partnered by Alan Munro as he strode out on the Limekilns in company with Al Qasi.

The pair worked well on the Round Gallop to please trainer Peter Chapple-Hyam.

He said: “Monitor Closely ran a very good race at Newmarket and I will be speaking to his owner today about where we head next with him.

“He is still in the 2000 Guineas but it’s unlikely that we will go down that route. He also has a Dante entry but the Newmarket Stakes on 2000 Guineas day looks a good option.

“He showed last week that the mile and a quarter trip there suits him and it might well be that is where we go with him.”

My contact in the yard tells me he definitely runs in the listed race.

Then he goes for the Derby - it's about as big a certainty as you can get, it's been the plan for at least the last 8 months.

i said this somewhere else no way would anyone supplement an oasis dream colt that is as unbalanced as him for 75k to the derby. He wont handle epsom and the distance. Unless he ends up in the dante and hacks up then a different story but as flame claims he isnt good enough for that.

It depends who the owner is and how rich he is Beardo. Google him "Laurie Inman" - the money is a drop in the sand to the lad. I don't think he's anywhere near good enough to win the Derby or even a poor Guineas but it will be the target and supplementing him won't be a problem at all.

i have just had a look at the name you said to look at. I agree the money isnt an issue by the looks of things but surely a guy that seems so astute in business still wouldnt just waste 75k on a whim for a horse that wouldnt be good enough. I see he also has a costly 2 year old montjeu colt with pch so you would have to think that his view is of investment in the racing world rather than glory.

Friday 24th April

Harbinger (Robert Winston) completed the treble for the rider as he picked up in taking fashion to draw on by a couple of lengths in his work. The Wood Ditton 2nd has improved out of all recognition for the run and looks sure to be very hard to beat in maiden company next time out. Sitting last in his quartet which included Desert Creek (led)( D Smith), Marching Time (Ryan Moore) and Ave (Kieren Fallon), the once raced colt moved through stylishly string out in impressive style to suggest he was a class act. Under a hand ride Ave kept on nicely to go 2nd best giving the impression she could be a nice filly this term.

Running at Chester today, 4.35, supported in from 11/8.

Back