Paco Boy out for the season

Ardross

Senior Jockey
From Hannon's website

Plans to run Paco Boy in the Prix de la Foret at Longchamp next month have been abandoned, and the colt, winner of the Group 1 Queen Anne Stakes at Royal Ascot and runner-up to Rip Van Winkle in the Sussex at Glorious Goodwood, will not race again this season.
Explaining the decision, Richard Hannon said:"Paco Boy has done enough this year - he has given his owners a lot of fun, and, hopefully, they'll have some more next season.
"He was on the go in early March being prepared for Dubai and you can't keep going with these top horses, so we have decided to give him a long break through the winter and bring him back next year, when he'll be aimed at all the top mile races, with the Lockinge Stakes at Newbury the logical stepping-stone to Royal Ascot."

Sounds like he has gone over the top .Shame the Foret would have been a cracker with him and Goldikova on top form - should be a cakewalk for her now.

That is very, very disappointing (Canford Cliffs, I mean - although it would have been nice to see Paco Boy back over 7f).

was wondering initially that something might be wrong too, but in fairness to the horse he did have a hard season with some very hard races, and surely does deserve a break. as connections want to start early in dubai, a very sensible decision, I think.

No way are they going back to Dubai ! I think the point was he started so early he is pretty much done. Shame about CC- growth spurt maybe?

SL reports he was badly jarred up after Deauville.

Last edited:
No way are they going back to Dubai ! I think the point was he started so early he is pretty much done. Shame about CC- growth spurt maybe?

SL reports he was badly jarred up after Deauville.

Put it this way, I wouldn't buy one of Hannons at the horses in training sale. I'm not expecting much from Canford or Monsieur chevalier next year.

Put it this way, I wouldn't buy one of Hannons at the horses in training sale. I'm not expecting much from Canford or Monsieur chevalier next year.

Maybe not, but if that's the case, it's testament what Hannon has got out on Monsieur Chevalier this year. It's not as though Hannon doesn't have batches of progressive 3-y-os either, as the records of horses like Cyflymder, Lethal Glaze, Sequillo to name but 3 have shown.

I agree with your first point though, I wouldn't buy one of Hannon either. But that's because he's one of the best trainers in the country, giving me few options of someone to send it to to improve it.

Can't believe they're going back to Dubai again, you'd think they'd have learned their lesson.

Disappointed not to see Paco Boy again this year, if only because I wanted to back my opinion.

I'd be thinking more along the lines that no matter where they go PB isn't going to win. Goldikova might give him a bigger hiding than RVW. Best to let those two pick up what's left of the season before retiring and PB can come back next year and see if the 3yos are any good.

Maybe not, but if that's the case, it's testament what Hannon has got out on Monsieur Chevalier this year. It's not as though Hannon doesn't have batches of progressive 3-y-os either, as the records of horses like Cyflymder, Lethal Glaze, Sequillo to name but 3 have shown.

I agree with your first point though, I wouldn't buy one of Hannon either. But that's because he's one of the best trainers in the country, giving me few options of someone to send it to to improve it.

Progressive three yr olds are the exception.Most are bottomed out after their 2yr old campaign.

Not too surprised about Paco Boy, it is difficult to keep a horse on the go from Feb right through to the end of the season. I'm sorry Canford Cliffs is finished for the season, I'd have liked another look at him.

Well, PACO BOY was a progressive 3 y.o., as he's progressed into being a v.g. 4 y.o.! Had six races requiring a high level of effort this year, seven last. Well over £600K for connections, so he has nothing to prove going into 2010. Might as well rest him now, at the butt-end of the Flat season, and see how he shakes out for next - but I sincerely hope he's not back at Nad, since that was his worst-ever run, and a return would look to be pointless.

CC's only two, has had three top-class outings and needs to do nothing to get a decent handicap rating! So, best put away to strengthen through the winter and be all the better for it for next season. Shouldn't think there's any reason why not to bring him out fairly early if they want to.

I think crazyhorse has misread the quote - he is staying in the UK next year - it is teh trip to Dubai that meant he has been on the go too long.

Back