Paddy Power Gold Cup Chelt 12 Nov

Perpetual

At the Start
I'm itching to back Noble Prince for this off 160, but hate not getting a run for my money...
Does anyone know if he’s an intended runner?

Cheers

Thanks OTB

Just found this on Sporting Life, which doesn't really answer the question, but will have to a little now at 12's and top-up if they decide to run him

'Irish trainer Paul Nolan is satisfied with the 11st 2lb given to Noble Prince, who made a winning start to the campaign at Naas last week
"It's a nice racing weight, but we have to make our mind up yet," said Nolan.
"It just might come a little bit soon from his first run, so we'll call it a bit later.
"He's come out of the race very well. It was a nice introduction for a horse that had fallen on his last run over fences. It was a lovely school round.
"It was nice to get such a small field for a Grade Three with a nice bit of prize money.
"It was the right start to the season and hopefully the sign of things to come because we think he's improved again and he seems a lot stronger at home.
"Hopefully we will choose the right races for him and finally get the Grade One victory I think he deserves."'

Even if he was a 170 horse, which is far from certain (unlikely for me, and I liked the horse from early last year), he would struggle to win off 160.

Last edited:
with perpetual here, horse i like, think he has a very good chance as long as ground dosnt turn soft 12/1 a fair price if you knew for certain he was running.
would think poquelin will run to supress the weights for mon plaiser.

always regret he ran in the county where he ran quite well instead of the coral cup

I think Quantatativeasing looks the best handicapped horse in the race............though this did not stop me backing all of Realt Dubh (no entry), Kauto Stone (goes to Droyal instead) or Mon Parrain over the last several weeks.

Watching back the 3m handicap chase at the Festival and can't help but feel that Great Endeavour is a big handicap winner in waiting. Murphy really couldn't have got that race any more wrong.

I think Quantatativeasing looks the best handicapped horse in the race............though this did not stop me backing all of Realt Dubh (no entry), Kauto Stone (goes to Droyal instead) or Mon Parrain over the last several weeks.

Good call on QE...

I like the look of Araldur and will probably back him. He had some decent novice form, beating the likes of Chapoturgeon and Free World, went back hurdling last year but his comeback second to Fistral Beach, who's a very good horse, while giving him 7 pounds would've set him perfect for this last time and he'll be spot on for Saturday. Alan King seems to be getting a few winners of late too, so I wouldn't be worried on that score and I think he's a nice bet in this at 20/1.

Last edited:
From the RP:

By James Pugh 4:57PM 8 NOV 2011 TRAINER Paul Nolan is leaning towards running Noble Prince in Saturday's Paddy Power Gold Cup despite also entering his exciting chaser at Navan a day later.

Noble Prince, whose price for the Cheltenham showpiece ranges from 10-1 to 12-1, has the option of the Grade2 Fortria Chase on Sunday when he could face Big Zeb and Forpadydeplasterer. Nolan said the decision to run Noble Prince in the Paddy Power, where he is due to carry 11st 2lb, may depend on whether top-weight Poquelin remains in the line-up.
"Things are still up in the air regarding where Noble Prince will run at the weekend," said Nolan on Tuesday. "We're not ruling out the Fortria Chase at Navan on Sunday, but we are leaning towards Cheltenham.
"However, whether Poquelin runs in the Paddy Power could influence our decision as we don't really want the weights to go up.
"We're glad to hear that they are putting water on the track to make sure it will be safe," he added.

I read another headline today. It said;

"The Giant Bolster has great chance in Paddy Power"

I'd obviously left said horse out of my Paddy Power calculations - on account of him always being on his arse at some point during a race - so I was worried for a few moments.

The I realised the quote was from Tom Scudamore, and the waves of relief washed over me.

Phew.

Last edited:
Seeing a horse you have backed beaten by something ridden by Tom Scudamore is a dreadful feeling...

I have had a good look through this race and cannot get away from Wishful Thinking. He is just the honest type of horse that gives it every time. He destroyed his rivals at Aintree and Punchestown and deserves his 164 perch. I will have to back him on the day. My only issue in having a decent cut at him is the track. His record around Cheltenham isn't the luckiest. In saying that and after watching him in his last two I believe he could have won at the festival if Johnson had tried to stretch them earlier. He's a must for the ten to follow and a blinding ew bet at hopefully around 8's at some point on Saturday.

I've only one nagging doubt about Wishfull Thinking, how did he manage to get beat at the Festival given how strong his form has proven both before and after the race. Did he go a bit too hard for his own good?

I've only one nagging doubt about Wishfull Thinking, how did he manage to get beat at the Festival given how strong his form has proven both before and after the race. Did he go a bit too hard for his own good?

I haven't watched that race in a long time but my overriding feeling after the race was he needed to kick on and stretch them sooner - take the sting out of the finishers - it looked to me like he was done for toe rather than feeling the effects of going too hard too early. I will watch it again in the morning.

Araldur's price has shortened from 20s to around 14s, 12s in places so I'm obviously not the only muppet who thinks he can go well in this.

I have had a good look through this race and cannot get away from Wishful Thinking. He is just the honest type of horse that gives it every time. He destroyed his rivals at Aintree and Punchestown and deserves his 164 perch. I will have to back him on the day. My only issue in having a decent cut at him is the track. His record around Cheltenham isn't the luckiest. In saying that and after watching him in his last two I believe he could have won at the festival if Johnson had tried to stretch them earlier. He's a must for the ten to follow and a blinding ew bet at hopefully around 8's at some point on Saturday.

There must be a better handicapped horse in the race than Wishful Thinking, surely, admirable though he is.

He's running off a higher mark than Denman was on for his first Hennessy, faces a tougher field than the Tank did in that race and might not be ideally suited by the course. Easily passed over.

Last edited:
Back