Paddy Power Gold Cup

Salut Flo was regarded as an Arkle horse when he was trained in France (that was his next target prior to the purchase by the Pipe yard). He still looks thrown in on his current mark to me.

I think Diamond Geezer mentioned elsewhere that this was Long Run's first target so he'd be another for the shortlist.

Not had much chance to think about the PP yet with the Arc, Champions Day, Breeders Cup etc. still to come in the flat season mind.

5 Year old Frenchy only seen twice.Trained by Pipe!! ;)

More Chicuelo than Cyfor Malta this one, I fear. ;)

Salut Flo still has plenty to prove, and would have been hammered out of sight in the Arkle. He looks fairly harshly treated on 137, imo.

He's not exactly a dark horse after spoiling his handicap mark with that Doncaster romp, but stranger things have happened.

Cheers ... I thought it would be out sometime this month for some reason, and that there was a reasonable antepost market ... must be confusing this with something else in recent years.

Poquelin is a possible according to Paul Nicholls in the feature in the RP on Monday. Could this be a likely target for Rivaliste too?

Heard that there going to enter Long Run for this race be a interesting runner with Sam Waley Cohen being able to use his claim in this race.

Last edited:
Long Run in a big field at Cheltenham at a short price. That would be a race worth tucking into. Bensalem would be off a very nice weight.

Have they moved that fence yet?

If he's running off 158 with a claimer on his back, then I would say he deserves to be relatively short and lets hope he's not much shorter than the favourite has been in recent years.

That should save a lot of people a lot of money and hard luck stories - 'if only he stayed up...' :)

Feck. Have we a thread for this yet?

there has been a worrying summer for the Bensalem team, but the good news from Alan on Sunday was that Bensalem the smart staying chaser, who developed pneumonia and pleurisy after being hit with a bout of travel sickness on the way back from his summer holiday in Ireland, has returned to Barbury Castle and is well on the road to recovery.
Alan said: "Bensalem returned from the vets on Friday and he is making good progress. Obviously, it is too early to make predictions about the season ahead, but it is a case of so far so good, and we are delighted to have him back.

Back