Palace Moon

Colin Phillips

At the Start
Can I bring your attention to the racecourse debut of Palace Moon.

Trainer: H Morrison Owner: Miss B Swire
Breeder: Miss B Swire
Fantastic Light(USA) (11.4f) - Palace Street(USA) (Secreto (USA)(10.0f))
11th foal, half-brother to 7 winners inc. top-class sprinter Sakhee's Secret, Palace Affair, very smart at 5-7f, Duke Of Modina, very useful 6f-1m winner, & King's Caprice, dual 7f winner at 3; dam useful 6f juvenile winner, later very smart over 7f-1m

As you can see from the details from the Racing Post site, a very well bred 3-y-o.

My mate, Kev, had heard good things about this horse and at Bath on Tuesday he took the opportunity to have a word with Hughey about him. The vibes were negative, not unusual with Mr. Morrison, from what I've read and heard.

He is getting support on Betfair, and, if nothing else, might be worth watching today.

I don't know if anyone watched Palace Moon on Sunday, but he behaved just as Hughey Morrison had predicted he would, when we spoke to him at Bath.

Really free and green to post, jumping a path on the way down to the start.

During the race he did just about everything he could do wrong, almost unshipping Travis Block as he lurched out of the stalls, jumped the same path in the race as he did on the way to post and then hung left and right when ridden..

Probably didn't achieve much in this race by finishing second, but he is surely a lot better than he showed here. Obviously will have to learn to settle but he is in the right hands.

Does it matter?

It obviously does to Hughie, and you, but I think people knew who I was talking about.

That, of course, is making the big assumption that people are reading the thread! :(

To him it does, I'm sure! I also thought it was worth pointing out in case the horse/Hughie were to be mentioned in a writing piece - I'm sure you'd want everything correct for accuracy's sake!

Thank you for being so thoughtful, Shads. :D

In any future reference to him in any writing that I do, I shall refer to him as Mr. H. Morrison.

Is he an Honourable by any chance, there's something in me 'ead that's telling me that he may have a title of sorts?

Yes, very honest from our experience........................I'd better not say what he said about another of his runners at Bath last week. I don't think the owner(s) would be very pleased.

In fairness I think Hughie tends to err on the side of being pessimistic over his runners rather than building them up. You want to hear what he said about Starzaan's chances up at Ayr!!

An excellent trainer and clearly not afraid to back his judgement in the betting ring. Would be close to the top of the list of trainers I'd send a horse to.

Has been as good as gold at home Collin,

Actualy worked well with Intrepid Jack not long ago, The paper fav Oarsman is a pig as well.

You dare say he runs, I'll dare say he wins.

Chris, while you're on, can you give me any encouragement for Mazzola in the nursery at York this afternoon?

I had him marked down for a nursery on a flat galloping track, after I saw him run a decent race at Chester.

Well, York is flat and galloping and it is a nursery but he has to lug top weight.

He's only got top weight for one reason though Collin.

He's a bonnie horse and like all of Micks they take their racing well. He is a solid 5 - 6f horse, 5.5f or a stiff 5f would be ideal. York should suit and he is in great form at home.

On the 22nd he was led by Cerito over 5f on the all weather gallop, and partnered by Amy Routledge he would have been giving weight to the Mathew Davies ridden Cerito. They finished upsides with Mazzola travelling better in a good swinging piece of work.

This was a solid workout and he breezed Thursday morning in good order.

He would have a good each way chance, he needs the ground like the M25 and he should go well.

Regards

Chris

"He would have a good each way chance, he needs the ground like the M25 and he should go well.".

...........and the classic fate of all good each-way bets..........Mazzola finishes FOURTH!!

Could/should have Sam looked for just a little cover?

Last edited:
Back