Patkai

sunybay

At the Start
This one looked a fine stayer in the making 109p and I imagine that he will be targeted the St Leger, this leaves his stable companion Tartan Bearer with the Arc as a goal.

This may be a knee-jerk reaction on my part, Gal, but would you be quite so dismissive if the horse was trained in Ireland, especially if it was trained by A.O'Brien?!

Originally posted by Colin Phillips@Jun 22 2008, 09:36 AM
This may be a knee-jerk reaction on my part, Gal, but would you be quite so dismissive if the horse was trained in Ireland, especially if it was trained by A.O'Brien?!
And if I did, I am sure it would be pointed out to me that he beat trees!

I did state he was impressive, but I couldnt have him as an alternative to Tartan Bearer just yet.

The same owner got Conduit as well for the Leger, whichever way one looks at it. Stoute has a very good hand to break his leger duck this year.

The Racing Post have taken an amazingly pessimistic view of the form, which seems a bit strange when the whole field is so unexposed over this kind of trip.

Watched the race from a decent vantage point, and (despite the Queen's Vase being a weak race by design) he was enormously impressive in going so far clear so quickly. I'd be interested to see how the sectional timing experts view the form.

Yes, the race was weak, but the manner in which Patkai slaughtered the field was certainly impressive. I liked him a lot, even if he did beat (comprehensively - he was nearer last than first!!) my dark horse of the field!

Probably Warbler, you´d also be correct in saying that few Vase winners ever amount to anything, even from the big yards Duke Of Venice etc. don´t seem capable of competing at the top level after winning the Vase.

.......but didn't I read somewhere that beaten horses in The Vase have progressed into decent animals.

It does seem a very severe test for a 3-y-o so early in the season. I don't think many 3-y-os really appreciate 2m. at that stage in their career.

Originally posted by Colin Phillips@Jun 24 2008, 06:02 PM
.......but didn't I read somewhere that beaten horses in The Vase have progressed into decent animals.

It does seem a very severe test for a 3-y-o so early in the season. I don't think many 3-y-os really appreciate 2m. at that stage in their career.
Depends i suppose. Bosham Mill became a smart hunter chase :D

Bar is right too though, Mamool did win the Vase, beating into 2nd place Mr Dinos (maybe it´s not too bad a race)

Originally posted by Colin Phillips@Jun 22 2008, 05:02 AM
The Racing Post ratings man wasn't at all impressed with the Vase form, suny, gave Patkai 96 for that effort!!
Whereas the official handicapper bumps Patkai up 5lbs from 104 to 109 after his Ascot run.

Originally posted by gus+Jun 26 2008, 07:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gus @ Jun 26 2008, 07:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Colin Phillips@Jun 22 2008, 05:02 AM
The Racing Post ratings man wasn't at all impressed with the Vase form, suny, gave Patkai 96 for that effort!!
Whereas the official handicapper bumps Patkai up 5lbs from 104 to 109 after his Ascot run. [/b][/quote]
Not a huge rise, given the class of the race; it would be hard, not to mention controversial, if the handicapper dropped a horse for winning a group race....

Back