Paul Carberry

Guest_

At the Start
PAUL CARBERRY was banned from riding at Naas on Saturday after failing a breath test for alcohol before racing.

All jockeys riding at the meeting were tested and Carberry, for whom it was a second offence, was the only one to fail.

In addition to his one-day ban, his case was sent on to the Turf Club's Referrals Committee for further investigation.
Carberry was due to have two rides for Noel Meade, Sky Hall in the Weatherbys Ireland GSB Beginners Chase (2.40) and Mythical Prince in the Brown Lad Handicap Hurdle (3.15).

He was due to ride For Paddy The Plasterer too!!

In fairness, this doesn't surprise me at all. He came out of the hospital at Cheltenham in March and headed straight to the nightclub!!

If nothing else, from a medical perspective he should not be drinking given his issues a few years ago.

"This is the second time being in this situation and I will have to address this problem immediately.

"Alcohol will not interfere with my work again and I plan to take the necessary steps to address this recurring problem. I would like to again stress my apologies to everyone affected by actions today."

Dissapointing - if a shade unsurprising - that he's been so stupid yet again.

That said, I would strongly disagree with anyone who says Carberry is past his best.

PAUL CARBERRY on Saturday evening said he intended taking immediate action to address his problems with alcohol following his failure to pass a random breath test before racing at Naas.

Carberry was banned from riding at Saturday's meeting and the matter was handed to the referrals committee of the Turf Club for consideration. It was a second offence for the Grand National-winning rider, who received a ban amounting to four days when he failed a similar test at the 2007 Galway festival.

It emerged that the on-course stewards received a report from Al Guy, a doping control officer, that Carberry had failed an alcohol breath test before racing. There was just half an hour to go before Carberry was due to ride odds-on-favourite Prima Vista in the opener when the news came through that he was to be replaced by Emmet Mullins. Prima Vista finished only third to Sunwake.

Carberry, a former champion jockey and one of the best-known riders on the jumps circuit, is stable jockey to seven-time champion trainer Noel Meade and was due to have three rides for the trainer on Saturday.

In a statement on Saturday evening, Carberry said: "I feel nothing but sincere regret for my actions today. I have let down myself, my trainers and the owners who employed me to do my job today.

"This is the second time being in this situation and I will have to address this problem immediately.

"Alcohol will not interfere with my work again and I plan to take the necessary steps to address this recurring problem. I would like to again stress my apologies to everyone affected by actions today."

Meade said: "Naturally, I am very annoyed and upset at what happened today. Paul obviously has a problem that he must address. He cannot expect me or the owners in my yard to put up with this situation."

Carberry has three booked rides at Cork on Sunday, including Parson Pistol for Meade in the Paddypower.com Cork Grand National. He has ridden 17 winners this season, having finished third to Ruby Walsh and Davy Russell in the Irish jump jockeys' title last season

Issues? What issues?? Health or are you referring to the aeroplane incident?

He lost a kidney a few years back and punctured his lung and tore his liver in the fall in Cheltenham in March. It's madness that he is still abusing his body the way he has done for the last 15 years. He is an amazing talent but just wasted a fair bit of it through pure abuse.

I wasn't best pleased to hear this today but some of the comments here are unjustified.

Meade said: "Naturally, I am very annoyed and upset at what happened today. Paul obviously has a problem that he must address. He cannot expect me or the owners in my yard to put up with this situation."

That sounds ominous for him as Meade has done for Carberry what Oxx did for Murtagh back in the days when Murtagh drank like a fish. Meade is having a difficult time with his numbers down and a lot fewer bumper horses so I wonder how long he will put up with this messing which might have been ok in the good old days!!

He lost a kidney a few years back and punctured his lung and tore his liver in the fall in Cheltenham in March. It's madness that he is still abusing his body the way he has done for the last 15 years. He is an amazing talent but just wasted a fair bit of it through pure abuse.

Wasn't it his spleen that he lost a few years back, in a very similar situation to Ruby's fall at Cheltenham two seasons back?

I remember seeing him the day before the Champion hurdle that Katchit won in O'Neills pub in Cheltenham downing a fair few beers. Was thinking of having a good e/w bet on Harchibald the next day but I wasn't long changing my mind.

I didn't google it, honest! It was just that I remember that when Ruby had his spleen removed, Carberry was quoted in the press about how it affected him when he had his removed.

with no inside knowledge whatsoever even we in germany know that carberry must have a serious problem, but he always seem to be proud of the fact that he was the biggest party-animal. I just wonder who complained or on whose feet he stepped that they decided to test him yesterday when clearly they could have caught him any given day, so to say.

All of the jocks were subjected to tests before racing yesterday, crazyhorse. He just happened to be the only one that failed.

Late in the day for Meade to be playing hardball. He, and through him his owners have had to put up with situation for years.

Back