Pawan

Colin Phillips

At the Start
As we know, everyone's favourite sprinter and, in Ann Stokell, is ridden by everyone's favourite jockey.:)

He ran a cracker in a Class 3 conditions event, when, going into the race off a mark of 90, he just failed to get the better of Battle Paint (OR 108). He had Tajdeef, Somnus and Floristry behind him, all rated somewhat better than he.

He picked up just shy of £3000 for coming second, was it a good decision to run in the race?

If the official handicapper chooses to rate the race through Somnus and Capricorn Run, then Pawan will be breaking the 100 mark.

For the first time.

After 116 runs.

Which seems... odd.

Did Pawan improve significantly on his 116th run? Or has the likes of Tajdeef, Somnus and Battle Paint run significantly below their best? I know which theory I prefer. I Can't believe the BHA handicapper will up him in the weights significantly based on a piece of nuddling minor event form. It wouldn't be the first time he's run above himself in such circumstances, see his Hamilton run in September 06 when beaten just over 3 lengths by Bygone Days.

He doesn't sometimes run 'above himself' - he runs above his jockey when he gets the chance LOL! He's a far better horse than he's had much chance to show

Did Pawan improve significantly on his 116th run? Or has the likes of Tajdeef, Somnus and Battle Paint run significantly below their best? I know which theory I prefer. I Can't believe the BHA handicapper will up him in the weights significantly based on a piece of nuddling minor event form. It wouldn't be the first time he's run above himself in such circumstances, see his Hamilton run in September 06 when beaten just over 3 lengths by Bygone Days.

Battle Paint, was a horse I tipped to clients on Saturday as he had been working well. He wasn't 100% fit, but I can assure you the Godolphin horse Floristry had only had 2 gallops and wasn't fit. Tajdeef had worked very poor in midweek suggesting he needed a break.

Somnus is a bit of an enigma but is not the force of old. Pawan has run well but not to get too excited. However I've always thought he could win a big handicap and is one of many reason's why I had tried tirelessly to buy him for the past 2 years, the fact the only way Anne Stokell would sell was to stay in yard and she could stay riding him was never an option I would contemplate however. I would have had no qualms with her training him, but riding was another matter.

However I've always thought he could win a big handicap and is one of many reason's why I had tried tirelessly to buy him for the past 2 years, the fact the only way Anne Stokell would sell was to stay in yard and she could stay riding him was never an option I would contemplate however. I would have had no qualms with her training him, but riding was another matter.

How much are we talking about for the beast chris? 10, 20, 30 grand? What about buying him with that proviso then changing your mind and putting Jamie up :D

As he's still on 90 Colin, it looks a good bit of placing to me :p

20 would have to be top line for me. He aint young.

Only one pro jockey I would use. Jamie isn't him, I just don't like watching horses rde that confident. I like them in the van, so pip robbo for me.

Isn't Robinson vastly overrated these days? Some of these Jarvis handicappers he wins on have about a stone in hand, and is it me, or does he have trouble settling horses nowadays?

Philip Robinson has been one of the most astute riders in Britain over a prolonged period, but he's not a youngster any more and age will surely catch him up sooner rather than later.

Another second place for Pawan yesterday behind the progressive Kalahari Gold.
Would imagine he'll get a couple of pounds rise for the run.

Back