Peter Chapple Hyam

Guest_

At the Start
Whats the vibes about his likely season? Things have fallen away or certainly gone relatively quiet since Authorised. Cannot think of any likely top three year olds so presumably he will be hoping for a good strong bunch of two year olds?

Catskill Mountain impressed me when he won his maiden last year, should be a decent sprinter this year.

Other than that, Sayif and Monitor Closely look ok but can't see them being world beaters.

Yes Trackside. We shall see, but that was possibly a very decent race (has been in the past) and shes a lovely filly with great attitude.

I thought that race was terribly short on quality this year and would be surprised if they were any good.

That won't stop there being a talking horse per week from the Chapple Hyam yard for the rest of the season. I make that around 26 hotpots to come.

Has anyone else noticed that every 2yo debutant Chapple-Hyam has is "the best 2yo he's got in the yard" [uttered in hushed tones] according to someone? Usually that someone is difficult to track down since the rumour has done the rounds so much that the source is totally unidentifiable.

Will add Mark Johnston to the list. Long gone seem the days where he was challenging consistently for Group honours.

It's not that Johnston is no longer a good trainer, merely that his outlook has changed. As he trains principally for Sheikh Mohammed's son, the moment they look like potentially having a group horses, understandably it is transferred to Godolphin. This policy will mean Johnston's chance of winning G1's diminishes and means he may well not train another classic winner. In exchange for that, he'll always have 220+ horses in the yard and his bills will be paid on time.

Souless existence though is it not? I can only compare it to a talented musician who sells out by making crap records and films, but has the mansion, the cars and the money. I guess for some that was the aim.

I think it would be easy for us that have never trained to criticise him, but it would be interesting to know what some of the small trainers who struggle to make ends meet that are looking for one good horse to put them on the map would have to say about it. I'm sure the majority would swop with him.

It's not that Johnston is no longer a good trainer, merely that his outlook has changed. As he trains principally for Sheikh Mohammed's son, the moment they look like potentially having a group horses, understandably it is transferred to Godolphin. This policy will mean Johnston's chance of winning G1's diminishes and means he may well not train another classic winner. In exchange for that, he'll always have 220+ horses in the yard and his bills will be paid on time.

Quite agree. It's all about making a set up viable.

Mark is great at buying horses and a hard working training with as much ability as any and more than most.

He's itching for a big backer and a free hand. He'd be dangerous with a few million quid in his back pocket to go to the sales (wouldn't we all :lol:).

Sometimes we forget how privileged the likes of AOB are (I doubt he does though).

Last edited:
its just basically surviving

in the current economic climate - its not a bad idea tbh

:blink:

basicly surviving ???? on what level are we discussing here ? he wouldnt exactly live under a bridge would he "only" train 80 horses, would he?

Introduced a potentially smart filly in the shape of Star Ruby at Sandown yesterday.

Hidden Brief, second at Sandown and a long way clear of the third, runs in the Cheshire Oaks tomorrow. The time at Sandown was very decent all in all and there's every reason to think she'll frank Star Ruby's form.

Despite her poor showing on return, Phillipina is no mug and is high up the Michael Stoute pecking order in regards to Oaks prospects, but Aidan O'Briens' Perfect Truth interests me tomorrow.

Prehaps Flame can enlighten us.

Sorry this had completely escaped me until now.

Peter Chapple-Hyam is not dealing in the numbers he had 2 to 3 years ago so I think it's going to be tough for him. He has a good number of juveniles however who look nice but not exactly forward.

Acclamation o/o Milly Fleur is the two year old that has impressed me thus far, whilst Star Ruby would be the obvious elder horse at present.

I wouldn't write of Sayif who is a very smart work horse, whilst Catskill Mountain is sharp, but will be limited in options being a gelding.

Thousand Miles and Palacefield are long term prospects who should win their fair share of races.

It's probably fair to say no stars, but I do think he will have a better year this season, just maybe not in the same quality bracket.

Cwm Rhondda would be one I'm happy to put up as a well handicapped filly, who over a mile or 10f can pick up a couple of races off her mark and possibly at decent odds in the forthcoming weeks.

Despite her poor showing on return, Phillipina is no mug and is high up the Michael Stoute pecking order in regards to Oaks prospects, but Aidan O'Briens' Perfect Truth interests me tomorrow.

I would be cautious with Phillipina, she has burnt people's fingers a couple of times now and she has the ringing's of a certain Oasis 90s hit about her.

If you are looking for an Oaks filly in the Stoute yard look no further than Enticement, this is a very nice filly whose juvenile form stands up, with a Guineas 3rd in behind her. Given a good workout at home lately she failed to stay upsides Philipina but the latter has a habit of working the house down only to disappoint on track. Interestingly in her next gallop, Sir Michael allowed her to work with a horse coming back from injury which was not entirely fit, and whilst the other was looked after she was asked to go about her business striding out to a healthy margin. This suggests to me he was giving the filly some confidence.

Leocorno is a very keen horse of Sir Michael's but again comes into the picture as she has impressed in all her homework albeit in solo gallops or just tracking up in behind. Whilst she has impressed, she has never gone with companions as she buzzes up so easily so it's hard to gauge her ability. All you can judge her on is one very pleasing debut win last season.

Apple Charlotte really has escaped my radar and I feel the Cecil camp regret not going for the Guineas. She shows absolutely nothing at home but two decent wins on track with a pedigree that screams out further suggests to me she could be a rough diamond and it's becoming clear that she is saving her best for the track.

Stable tour in the weekender today seems to suggest his 2 year olds will be a dcent bunch this year

Just wanted to bring this back up due to the fantastic tactical ride by Johnny Murtagh on the winner.

Now I wish I'd done the forecast. :confused:

Back