Phoenix Stakes

Guest_

At the Start
Can sometimes really cut up but this years renewal looks pretty impressive for so early in the season. The next stage is on Tuesday (race itself is on Sunday) but if the likes of Art Connoisseur, Bushranger, Shimah etc all turn up it should be a cracker.

1 Alhaban (KPrendergast)
2 Art Connoisseur (MLWBell (in GB))
3 Bushranger (DWachman)
4 Cruciform (DGillespie)
5 Egypt (GB)(84) (APO'Brien)
6 Gluteus Maximus (APO'Brien)
7 Kamado (GB) (ELynam)
8 Mastercraftsman (APO'Brien)
9 Peter Tchaikovsky (GB)(APO'Brien)
10 Sawtooth Mountain (USA)(96)(APO'Brien)
11 Sea Of Marmara (USA)(89)(APO'Brien)
12 Set Sail (APO'Brien)
13 Vilasol(100) (KPrendergast)
14 Westphalia (APO'Brien)
15 Dunes Queen (USA) (MRChannon)
16 Excellent Girl (GB)(77)(KPrendergast)
17 Kissing The Camera (GB)(JNoseda (in GB))
18 Light It Up (MHalford)
19 Marquesa (USA) (DWachman)
20 Moss Likely (MRChannon (in GB)) -
21 Samba School (KPrendergast)
22 Shimah (USA) (KPrendergast)
23 Simply Topping (MHalford)
24 Solasai (USA)(77) (JSBolger)​

Must admit I was very taken by Bushranger last time. I think there was little in behind but he done it very well.

Alhaban looks gutsy, whilst Mastercraftsman certainly should relish this trip.

For me Art Connoisseur may be vulnerable.

This is the first time it's moved since at least '88. It had been run on the Sunday after the first Monday of August since at least then.

think the trip would suit bushranger more than mastercraftsman who in my opinion is the better long term prospect of the 2

Even without Shimah, I can't help but feeling Mastercraftsman is too short at 3.15 currently on betfair.

Probably still ran green in the Railway (that was O'Brien's view at the time anyway), but I think he'll be caught out by the combination of the trip and the fast ground against the likes of Bushranger, who is every inch a 2yo.

Mastercraftsman very weak in the market this morning, out to 3/1. All the money is for the Bell horse and Bushranger. Ground will be lightning fast...roaster here today.

Art Connoiseur went 9 clear of his lead horse on Wednesday, have had a big bet on him at 2.2 - 2.3 this morning.

Me thinkz that is going to be the top rated 2yo I've got this year. I was only thinking yesterday that haven't really found one so far.

15 Gp1's what's the world record for a season? Bobby Frankel 26?

Didnt get involved but 4/1 the winner. 4/1? Those laying the O'Brien horses consistently, somehow expecting them to be a lot shorter "just because of connections" arent having a very good time of it.

Very nice horse.

Horse didnt seem to get home off the strong pace. Think if he was handier, he would have been the same distance from the winner at the death.

it's because he doesn't know any other way of riding

Also the way he was ridden when running out an easy winner. Anyone who backed him today knew that is how he was going to be ridden.

Mastercraftsman as short as 5/1 for the Guineas, Ladbrokes go biggest 8/1 joint favs with RVW.

Didnt get involved but 4/1 the winner. 4/1? Those laying the O'Brien horses consistently, somehow expecting them to be a lot shorter "just because of connections" arent having a very good time of it.

Weird. I looked at the shape of the race and it`s location beforehand and expected Art Con to be 2s or 9/4. In general Aidan`s animals aren`t really value propositions.

Back