Photos from Kempton 22/2/14

mowgli77

At the Start
Hope I'm ok to upload these here. Went to Kempton for the 1st time last month and took these photos while I was there. There is a link here to the slideshow on photobucket and I'll post a few up individually too.

http://s102.photobucket.com/user/mowgli77/slideshow/Kempton Races - Saturday 22nd February 2014

FullShiftdrivenout3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Full Shift/Tony McCoy

RoyalPlayerleads2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Royal Player and others

BallyLegendwinsBetBrightChase.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Bally Legend winning the BetBright Chase

Activialdrivenhome3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Activial/Noel Fehily

SolarImpulseandCommissioned.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Solar Impulse and Commissioned on way to the start

BalderSuccess.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Balder Success jumps the last fence

Thanks for those Phil, do a bit of photography at the races myself sometimes, you obviously have a better camera than me :D

Thanks for those Phil, do a bit of photography at the races myself sometimes, you obviously have a better camera than me :D

Nokia D3100, just a basic entry level camera. Was about £400 with an 18-55mm lense and an extra 70-300mm Sigma lens. Used that for these pics to zoom in as you are quite a way from the last fence.

Nice pics! Really like the AP one, very sharp.

For tips, another good course for photography is Sandown. From the enclosure in front of the grandstand, complete uninterrupted view across!

Nice pics! Really like the AP one, very sharp.

For tips, another good course for photography is Sandown. From the enclosure in front of the grandstand, complete uninterrupted view across!

Thinking of going there for the Brigadier Gerard Thursday evening meeting later in the year. Wetherby is quite good as you can get close to the last hurdle and the last fence. You just need to hope the pesky course photographers keep out of the way. They actually get too close to the horses and I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up as a safety issue, it's only a matter of time before a horse runs out and hits one of them.

How do you know it hasn't?

If it had been brought up as a safety issue would they still be allowed to stand there? Maybe it has been raised and they choose to ignore it at their own risk. If that's the case they can't complain when they get trampled.

Where is 'there' ?

yth6.jpg

Might not be the best example as they are often closer than this, literally right at the side of the fence snapping away. The rail is to the left of the fence (as they jump it) so if a horse is to refuse or run out it is likely to go to the right of the fence. If a horse is pulled up it will also need to go to the right of the fence. The photographers are not behind any rail, they are stood in the middle of the course but one or two of them get much closer than this picture actually shows. This was taken by a friend of mine at Wetherby. Some stand right where the white rail is immediately to the left of the fence as you look at the picture and a few have commented that it seems too close for comfort.

Back