Placepot Thread

Flame

At the Start
Good morning;

This is something I've been thinking of starting up for a while. For me Placepot betting is one of the most valuable bets and I have had some big wins in the past from Placepot betting.

I look for 3 key things in a placepot, there has to be at least 2 16 + runner races (12 on aw) on a card. It must never start with a maiden or a seller and there must be a maximum of one favoruite on the card under 5/4.

The key to these factors above mean value.

A 14 runner + handicap is my best way to start, normally an even affair I will put in between 7 and 10 of the field. I only stake to 10p permatations but instantly you have a big chance of going through with 2 or 3 sometimes 4 places.

If there is an odds on shot, you want it in the middle of the card, early and too much money goes forward, late your banking on it being out the frame.

Today's Goodwood card is not ideal for me as there is what I call false markets. The first race is 7 runners where realistically anyone of 4 can win. This means a high number of qualifiers will go through to the next leg.

The odds on race is the 3rd race, but perhaps our saving grace is the 2 big field open handicaps in legs four and five, if we can get the fav and 2nd fav unplaced in these, its gonna pay.

I love to finish with a maiden as normally one big priced horse will place, that way your taking out one of a fancied 3 or 4, reducing the winning bets by around 24 - 27%.

All in all statistically playing the placepot when factors are correct can pay very big. People think Cheltenham placepots pay well, they do on occasion but not often. I have had many break evens or 5% stake wins when decent priced horses have come in, the reason being at the festival its very rare 3 or 4 of the highly fancied horses each day wont get involved.

On the flat its much better and I must admit I have had my two biggest pay days on Ayr Gold Cup day and Stewards cup day. I intend to go in heavy again on Saturday and tomorrow which are ideal days for .

Yesterday I staked £65 roughly and it went out on the 5th leg, at the time 4,500 stood in of 250,000, which meant a return of around £48 to the £1. my 20p at the time meant a loss of £55 was currently on the cards. The next race I was hopeful of a place but none delivered, sadly for me i had 1st 2nd and 4th fav, which meant those remaining were left with a great position, with under £1000 left in the pot and a current payout of £218 to the pound. With a 16/1 shot winning the last, a 12/1 shot chasing it home and the solid 6/1 shot 3rd, the pool returned with 184 winning tickets (£) resulting in a 976.60 return. This is not uncommon at big meetings.

Below is my example of todays;

Race 1

its a 4/5 horse race for me but given I dont think Folk Opera will stay , i have elected Samira Gold, Gravitation, Hi Calypso & Queen Of Naples

Race 2

Oppose front runners, they come off the pace here.

Dandy Man, Entiicing, Starlit Sands, Cute Ass + Moorhouse Lad (best of the front runners)

Race 3

too much for yeats, maybe, leave him out

Dinstinction, Mad Rush & Honolulu

Race 4

Johnston on fire ?

Love Galore, Hunting Country, Age Of Reason, Drill Sergeant + Fifteen Love (form horse)

Race 5

Improvers + Consistent

Tawaash, Adversity, House, Fathsta

Race 6

one with form, one new

Sanvean + Midday

This perm @ 5p will cost me £120 and will be my selection today. The last race is the tricky one, but Midday gallops with Honest Quality & Apple Charlotte at home, whilst Sanvean has the best form, it should be enough to round the day off. Legs 4 and 5 are the hard ones but you have to stay with whats best and with the Johnston team flying its unlikely one of his 4 wont get involved in the 4th. The 5th, you need the unexposed improvers and Fathsta keeps running his race.

Today's pool will be a big one mark my words on that. As there are some dodgy favorites.

I will give my placepot guides daily when there are qualifying meetings.

Good luck all

Chris

Last edited:
We love doing PPs too, but nothing as sophistaced an approach as chris (might be the reason we have been out in first each day so far). Tough one today, not many I really fancy apart from Yeats, and would normally think Dandy Man a bank as well, but cannot have stable, and fancy Moorhouse Lad as well.

Anyway, good luck, will be happy if we survive 1st!

Further than we have ever been so far this Meeting - survived first two races and have two(!) lines going *hurrah* - have to touch would now for not forcing my luck!

I reckon Chris was lucky there as his lines on NR Mad Rush will have gone onto Yeats - phew!

it did indeed lol, however I think Mad Rush would have been 2nd if he ran.

As Rory will clarify when chatting to him last night, said I was backing sagara ew at big odds, thats his best run for Godolphin.

40p of perm going into last leg, watch both these come unplaced now, its not paying good however, still 9,000 left in of 250,000 which means a loss no matter what happens today.

Regardless of what you thought Yeats would do, opposing him in the placepot was the correct decision.

I disagree - PPs are all about staying in as well as winning.
I always do the hot fancy with something at a longer price ESP in a race of fewer than 8 runners

PS That's really bad luck Cat, esp after you got through the 2yr old race/s which are always the hardest

Last edited:
I disagree - PPs are all about staying in as well as winning.
I always do the hot fancy with something at a longer price ESP in a race of fewer than 8 runners

PS That's really bad luck Cat, esp after you got through the 2yr old race/s which are always the hardest

You wat ????? the last leg was a 2yo race !!:rolleyes:

Back