Point to Point

Simon

At the Start
Does anyone know anything much about Flagg? Who to follow etc. Obviously entries won't be out yet...

if you pm me your email I will send you back the entries although they will beout in the Weekender tomorrow.

Might be worth you looking at the Jumping for Fun website as well.

Last edited:
Get there for the Members race Simon - think it's the first on the card and run over a load of stone walls from one village to the other, ending up on the racecourse. There's no set route it's the quickest from A to B :)

That was one of the main attractions for going, IS, it's certainly something different. I think the plan is to get there about an hour before the first race, have some lunch and a few drinks and then watch the racing. I think there's also two pony races beforehand which should be entertaining.

I remember you saying before somewhere when someone asked about a track 'follow the Greenalls here' or 'follow the Barbers' or something. Any ideas who to follow at Flagg?

I also remember someone talking about what to look for in a point to pointer that's going to run well, it was probably you Kirsty...

I've been before and done relatively well betting wise, but I'm sure that was more pot luck and following a few old names I recognised than actually knowing what I was doing.

Last edited:
Follow Richard Burton if he's riding - he's the top regular amateur at the course.

Would also keep an eye out for whatever the Greenall family send down from the yards of David Easterby and Cherry Coward (probably to be ridden by one of the Greenall's or Jacqui Coward).

Will get the RP tomorrow and have a look at the pony entries - see if there's anything good entered up.

Martin

Have sent entries to you. Usually if you go on the Jumping for Fun site they discuss most meetings on the forum.

Had a great day betting on Sunday at Cothelstone (after an 11 race day the day before at Upcott Cross!!!) - 3 good winners - 5-1, 7-1 & 10-1 - even managed to buy some tired old things something to drink!!

I think I stuck up something on TRF re what to go for. The good jockeys do tend to stand out and are worth sticking with. But look at the horses as you would if you went racing. This time of year, its the horse who has really dappled out in his coat that is in the best health. With this weather, his skin should been looking really good. Any that look a little dull, may still be changing their coats and I tend to avoid those. Also with the fast ground, go for those with the smaller feet rather than the big soup plates! I also note what the sires are - Presentings often like quicker ground as do Luso's & Needle Guns. Turtle Islands on the other hand prefer it softer. But there are horses by all sorts of stallions - many I've never heard of.

Are you sure you've sent them, I haven't received anything yet?

Edit: just got it now, thanks Kirsty.

Last edited:
I went a few years ago. It was an odd day, the ground was rock hard and some of the races were walkovers, a couple of races with 2 or three runners.

Hopefully the ground will be better this year!

Having a jar in the pub down the road afterwards (before racing had actually finished), the landlord told me they had to use plastic glasses because once the racing kicked out, the pub would be overrun by hooligans. Bizarre. I didn't see any in the racecourse, but I didn't hang around to find out.

Hope its better than Tweseldown at the weekend where there were a total of 7 runners ALL day!

Having read their website they state the ground will be Good, Good to firm in places, which is quite impressive with the state of the ground round here. It also states they were watering which struck me as unusual for a PTP, but can't be a bad thing.

Not a bad thing at all - the two meets I've been to the past two weekends have both watered (Guilsborough and Chaddesley Corbett) and both been rewarded with very good ground (good, good to firm in places) and plenty of runners.

Sandboro Dinky Toy beat Lennards Dior and Lilt in this race last year, all three are engaged again in the Under 138cm race, not seen the others race but expect SDT to win if he's at his best.

In the 148cm race the standout is Hope ridden by Alex French, Hope is a very good pony in these races on his day and with only three other contenders I expect he'll take this, unlikely to be too much of a price though Simon particularly if one or two of the other three don't declare on the day.

Keeverfield looks NAP potential in the Ladies btw though he's also engaged in the Hunter Chase at Carlisle on Saturday - Sam Drake gets on very well with him as she showed when taking home a Market Rasen HC in February.

Thanks a lot Martin, much appreciated. What price would you expect to see about Keeverfield? I'll add them to my notebook for the day. Any news on any big gambles, please give me a shout. Btw, did your pals land the touch at Thorpe Lodge the other week?

Last edited:
Don't think the horse ran in the end, I know they backed Pennytino in the opener which won and the Maiden winner has scored in a Bumper since at Bangor for Longsdon (Hazy Tom) - form of that race looks good as 2nd and 3rd both won their Maidens since.

Very short about Keeverfield - not got the official ratings on me but I'd imagine he'd have 9 or 10lbs in hand, not seen him run in Points myself as he's been running in the North but from what I hear he's been impressive. Will try look over the rest of the card later but he stood out to me.

Thanks, Martin. Really starting to look forward to it now, hopefully we're blessed with good weather.

Back