Points Of View

Aldaniti

At the Start
Just noticed that Kim bailey's Points of view has just won his third race in 7 days & just wondered what record was of most wins in that time period?

Eight days, to be precise, but he was hugely impressive and is clearly up to taking on better horses. Not sure what the record is but was looking at the 12-month record of Madame Jones earlier - 12 wins in 61 races over the course of a year!

I'd be surprised if over the last 30 years the record for most wins in a week wasn't held by a David Chapman or Bill o Gorman trained horse.

I'd be surprised if over the last 30 years the record for most wins in a week wasn't held by a David Chapman or Bill o Gorman trained horse.
David Chapman did indeed spring to mind - not sure that O'Gorman needed to run them that quickly to take advantage of the old rules on 2-y-o races.

I Immediately thought David Chapman when I saw this thread and te first horse to come into my head was Chaplin's Club. From 16Jul88 to 03Aug88 inclusive, he ran 9 times and won 7 and was never odds-on in any of those races.

Here is some info I found that's interesting although a bit off topic.

The Australian record for the most wins in succession in thoroughbred racing history is held jointly by two gallopers – Sava Jet and Miss Petty.

Let’s look at the career of Sava Jet.

Sava Jet entered the world on October 31st, 1980 the result of a mating between the imported purebred quarter horse stallion Savannah Jet and the thoroughbred mare La Modelle (1973) – herself a daughter of Better Portion (1967) and the Red Gauntlet mare Gipsy Tune (1965). Sava Jet was the first live foal of La Modelle.

Sava Jet was owned by Ken Fogarty, who also owned the Palms Resort in the Gold Coast hinterland. Fogarty was a stalwart of “sprint racing” which involved racing quarter horses and/or thoroughbreds in the same field at registered meetings across Australia. “Sprint racing” debuted in Queensland at Esk on 2/9/1978 and Fogarty’s horse Thunder Not won the first race, over the 520 metres course, when ridden by Ipswich aboriginal jockey Merv Marion. In later life Merv Marion was seriously injured in a race fall at Flinton in 1998 and lived on life support in an Ipswich institution for some years before sadly passing away.

Fogarty had Sava Jet for his first four wins from four starts and then advertised the horse for sale. A man from Atherton in North Queensland, Gordon Bartlett went to the Gold Coast and bought the horse. A few top trainers at the Gold Coast track had told Bartlett not to buy the horse as “he was a bleeder”, but Bartlett had driven down the 2000 plus kilometres to pick the horse up and decided to “take a punt” on him.

Gordon Bartlett took the “real good sort” home and at his first start for him – on his home track at Atherton – he broke the track record. Disaster set in straight after the race as the horse had bled. Banned for the compulsory three months stint, Bartlett immediately took Sava Jet off all grain. “Forever after that day I feed him only on a cup of molasses to keep the salts and minerals in him and he also got lucerne. I’d try to run him only every 21 days and I’d turn him out into a grassy paddock for 2 or 3 days after a run. When he’d come up to the gate carrying on, you’d know he wanted to go back into the stable”, Bartlett said.

Gordon Bartlett said the circuit for sprint racing spread right through Victoria and New South Wales then in Queensland the circuit involved tracks like Toowoomba, Birdsville, Boulia, Mt. Isa, Cloncurry, Normanton, Townsville and Cairns. “They’d put the quarter horse races on last to make sure the crowd stayed”, commented Bartlett.

“Sava Jet was only 15.1 hands high and although he carried weights up to 74.5 kilograms, he never came close to being beaten”, according to Bartlett who continued by saying “every track he started on he broke the track record. At Home Hill over 500 metres one day, I put a female apprentice on him and she’d only had two rides in her life in races. Sava Jet ran off on the home turn with her riding him, but still beat the thoroughbreds and other quarter horses by 10 lengths – and they had some handy thoroughbreds in these races. That was one of the few times the bookies let us on him (with the female apprentice on), but he’d start up to 20-1 on. The prizemoney was good though, so that would keep you going. The Sires Produce in Toowoomba was worth $30,000 to the winner and the Sires Produce in Gympie was worth $10,000 to the winner. Up in North Queensland at tracks like Atherton they put in a special ramp for the public to view the races and other tracks like Mareeba and Townsville put in new chutes (so they could run down a straight track)”, said Bartlett.

When Sava Jet had won 21 races from 21 starts he had drawn level with Murgon galloper Picnic in the Park and Gordon Bartlett dropped his guard with Sava Jet when going for the record of 22 successive victories. “I fed him grain again for the first time since his bleeding attack at my initial start with him at Atherton. I only gave it to him for the week before the race. I wanted to make a bird of him”, confessed Bartlett. “He won but you wouldn’t believe it, he bled and was banned for life. He was a great horse – the guts of the horse and the temperament of the horse made the horse”.

"Sava Jet was sold to race in America where he could get treated with the anti-bleeding drug lasix. At his first start in America they thought he was just a donkey from Australia and he won by 14 lengths and equalled the track record at El Alametos. At his second start, he beat a mare who had won the All American Futurity over 320 metres. He won his third start in America, but I lost track of him after that, so between Australia and America I know he won 25 races straight”, said Bartlett, who says he “walked away from the sport when the AJC (Australian Jockey Club) shut us down (deregistered “sprint racing”in 1993 and made the minimum race distance 800 metres) as we were getting too popular”.

Back