Portland Handicap

On The Bridle

At the Start
Anyone got any strong opinions on this. Haven't had a proper look yet but the ante-post favourite Zero Money won with plenty in reserve on Saturday and seems to have been transformed recently whether by being directed over the correct trip or the application of headgear. Looks the one to beat.

Last edited:
I could not see the point of having a bet until the day.

All nice prices for handicaps long gone come the day. Do the hard work in advance, and you end up with nice prices like a few did for here for the Ebor.

Historically, I'd agree with Hamm but I think the point Gearoid is making is that firms fall over themselves to compete on price come big racedays and you'll get a decent price better than a horse's actual price on the morning regardless. However, given Zero Money would want quickish ground and with rain around all week, I'm getting stuck into York Glory at 10s.

Historically, I'd agree with Hamm but I think the point Gearoid is making is that firms fall over themselves to compete on price come big racedays and you'll get a decent price better than a horse's actual price on the morning regardless. However, given Zero Money would want quickish ground and with rain around all week, I'm getting stuck into York Glory at 10s.

Not sure York Glory will be mad about soft ground either.

Won on GS at Thirsk and suspect he'll take his chance regardless. Zero Money likely to be pulled out if soft appears in description, Charlton is very protective of his horses.

Given the forecast and the current conditions (good to firm), hard to see the ground riding any slower than good throughout the whole meeting.

Correct GS. Plus you will get five places on the day. You will also know the ground and draw and get bet with more confidednce. What makes York Glory a moral?

Will you get Saptapadi at 16s on the day? No. Lost in the moment at similar odds? No.

Good luck waiting for the day. You will get concessions, and there is a chance your fancy may be bigger, but a bigger chance he will not.

Very progressive, time of last run was sensational and the most likely in the field to make it to group company IMO.

Agree with place concession but been a noticeable reduction in five place offers these last few weeks. Firms probably realised how bloody ridiculous it is.

Thanks. Yeah but it being Leger weekend they will crack up the bag of cocaine for punters one last time. Sea Moon should be laid now and backed back Saturday morning.

Second fastest time on the card per furlong on RP standards and even quicker on my own standards. Clocked a Beyer figure well into the 100s which is Group class IMO.

Will you get Saptapadi at 16s on the day? No. Lost in the moment at similar odds? No.

Good luck waiting for the day. You will get concessions, and there is a chance your fancy may be bigger, but a bigger chance he will not.

Having availed myself to both, I'd like to point out, I'd far rather have backed Moyenne Corniche at SP. :D

Might sound like a daft thing to say about a horse that's won over 7f, but I'd worry that York Glory would be as efffective over the Portland trip?
I know he's won his last 2 comfortably and wasn't stopping at the end, but he travelled like a 5f horse in both of them, and this is over 140yd further, and against older and better horses.
His other 2 runs since blinkers were applied don't offfer much encouragement either - both 6f and he didn't last home in either of them, albeit ridden differently.
Stats don't do him any favours either - a quick glance shows that no 3yo has won it in the past 10 years.

Also worth pointing out that IIRC the Saptapadi on the day punters will have got paid out on 5th place E/W with a few firms, as opposed to the AP punters who did it all in (unless of course they traded out).

Second fastest time on the card per furlong on RP standards and even quicker on my own standards. Clocked a Beyer figure well into the 100s which is Group class IMO.

The problem I have is that there were only two races on the straight course on that day. I'm very wary of using times recorded on the 7f chute and on the round course to assist in assessing times over sprint distances where a different part of the track was used. The only other race on the straight track was My Propeller's. She was rated 95 going into the race and York Glory 88 and on the day the figure she recorded came out on my calculations 7lbs in front of York Glory's i.e. more or less in line with what you'd expect although I accept that they both almost certainly showed improved form. York Glory's gone up 7lbs, however, and although he clearly has a decent chance on Saturday I still struggle to see, strictly on times, that it's an outstanding one.

Just my view and I'm quite capable of being wrong.

I think Laytown has your head fried. Doncaster today was Good To Firm (Good in Places)

Last edited:
3rd race was run just 0.98 secs over standard (into a headwind), with the slowest race of the day only 3.73 over.
With little or no rain overnight, the forecast and Donny's drying properties, I'd be amazed if he doesn't run.

3rd race was run just 0.98 secs over standard (into a headwind), with the slowest race of the day only 3.73 over.
With little or no rain overnight, the forecast and Donny's drying properties, I'd be amazed if he doesn't run.

I'm in Barnsley, about 20 miles away as the crow flies. There's been light but steady drizzle here since about 5.30am (and continuing).

Back