Possible scam?

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
Hi all.

Today I got an email which appears to be from apple.com "billing" me (£26-odd) for an app (ICRealtime or something like that).

I've no idea what this is but it looks real.

I wouldn't know how to buy an app and I haven't been drunk for a very long time so I'm at a loss to explain why this has come to me.

Part of the email says:

[SIZE=-1][FONT=&quot][TABLE="width: 517"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 303"][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Billed To:[/FONT][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]_ mo_oneill@hotmail.com[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD="width: 214"][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Order ID: UK3873V09Y
Receipt Date: 11/03/2016
Order Total: GBP 26.51
Billed To: Store Credit
[/FONT][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/FONT]
[/SIZE][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=&quot][TABLE="width: 519"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 166"][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]_[/FONT][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] Item[/FONT][/TD]
[TD="width: 138"][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Developer[/FONT][/TD]
[TD="width: 116"][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Type[/FONT][/TD]
[TD="width: 99"][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Unit Price[/FONT][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 4"]
spacer_999999.gif
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 4"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 166"][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]_[/FONT][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] ICRSS Pro
[/FONT][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]_[/FONT][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] Report a Problem[/FONT][/TD]
[TD="width: 138"][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]ICRealtime LLC[/FONT][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][/FONT][/TD]
[TD="width: 116"][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]In-App Purchase[/FONT][/TD]
[TD="width: 99"][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]GBP 26.51[/FONT][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 4"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 4"]
spacer_999999.gif
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][/FONT][/TD]
[TD="width: 99"][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]GBP 26.51[/FONT][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[/FONT]
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=&quot][TABLE="width: 592"]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]_ If you initiated this download, you can disregard this email.
_ It was only sent to alert you in case you did not initiate the download yourself.
_ If you did not initiate this download, we recommend that you go to
_ iTunes Payment Cancellation Form to change your password, then See Apple ID:
_ Tips for protecting the security of your account for further assistance.

_ How to resume Payment Cancellation Form iTunes Store downloads

_ http://support.apple.com/app.php?id=213651442[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]_[/FONT][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] iTunes[/FONT][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]_[/FONT][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] You can find the iTunes Store Terms of Sale and Sales Policies by launching your
[/FONT][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]_[/FONT][FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] iTunes application and clicking on Terms of Sale or Sales Policies[/FONT]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Any ideas?[/FONT]
[/SIZE][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

It's a scam. Under no circumstances click on the link. If you hover over the link you'll see the real address.

Last edited:
Surprised he even thought it was a "possible" scam

As a general rule, don't click anything, and I mean anything. It doesn't matter if the link says 'unsubscribe' or a button says 'report a fault', it isn't the front end presentation that directs what happens next but the back end script behind it. A nice big button might present itself that says 'remove me from mailing list' but if the script underneath it says install ransomware, you've got a problem

Incidentally, Talking Horses displays as a malicious website according to Malwarebytes Pro, and provides me with an IP address, (presumably to report?). I always assumed its malicious status was due to Clive! but apparently not, must be the rest of you

Last edited:
Back