Post Cheltenham Withdrawal Symptoms

Bar the Bull

At the Start
Anybody else suffering from this?

What should I do?

The fact that it was such an epic Festival makes it even more difficult for me.

It is a pity that we have to wait so long for Aintree, and a pity that the Flat season cranks into gear so slowly. I wouldn't mind a Craven meeting or something this week to keep me out of mischief.

I find a good way is to bury yourself in a really good DVD boxset. I've been bombing though the first three seasons of Homicide: Life on the Street.

Sexual Intercourse is another distraction. If only there was someone to do it with.

Anybody else suffering from this?

What should I do?

The fact that it was such an epic Festival makes it even more difficult for me.

It is a pity that we have to wait so long for Aintree, and a pity that the Flat season cranks into gear so slowly. I wouldn't mind a Craven meeting or something this week to keep me out of mischief.

I hear you BtB. Managed a few (losing) bets at Uttox on Sat, backed 2 winners at the Curragh on Sunday. Since then I've felt on a real downer, couldn't look at a bet now till the weekend at least:lol:

I'm similar, and have half resolved not to get into the flat season. After the jumps, it just seems (more than before) dull, soulless, lacking in sport, stories etc etc.

Plenty of markets available for Sexual Intercourse:

Over/Under 2.5 Minutes
Win Only (Who......first?)
Each-Way betting
etc

Classic.

I've decided to redo the bathroom to keep myself busy until Aintree. God knows how I'll cope between Punchestown and the Charlie Hall...

I'm similar, and have half resolved not to get into the flat season. After the jumps, it just seems (more than before) dull, soulless, lacking in sport, stories etc etc.

Just think though, this time ten years ago we'd had a non-Festival off the back of the best Flat season in my life time. Obviously no single flat meeting can compare with Cheltenham but it could be just a cyclical thing.

Renewed my gym membership-I was always happy swimming 50 lengths -have promised myself to step up to 100 very soon.
Why do I feel like a junkie doing cold turkey.

It's actually good not to bet on anything... the discipline of not betting ensures that you ought to make a profit on those bets you have spent weeks and months agonising over. Don't give it all back on some ill considered nonsense.

Absolutely. Before Cheltenham I think I'd had maybe two bets since the King George. I wont punt now until Aintree and after that probably not again until Wootton Bassett wins the 2000

Renewed my gym membership-I was always happy swimming 50 lengths -have promised myself to step up to 100 very soon.
Why do I feel like a junkie doing cold turkey.

Done the same to be fair Luke - can't beat a 6:30am gym session to start the day :)

Yeah, like we who also like the Flat and don't regard jumps and it as the great North-South divide or Republicans vs Democrats, had to put up with Cheltenham being elasticated from August last year, fgs! :rolleyes:

No wonder you're all suffering withdrawal symptoms - you've been shooting up day and night with the stuff for nigh on eight months! I recommend a total break - perhaps somewhere with a beach, sun, some palm trees, and no hint of horses...

... Garrison Savannah? :whistle:

Absolutely.

Withdrawal hasn't kicked in yet, I'm still recovering from the week myself!

Finally the penny drops.

And get yer fecking Avatar changed! :lol:

I lose complete interest in racing after the Festival, and won't look again until Aintree.

Outside horses, there could be a few quid to be made on the F1 this season. New rules could make markets a bit volatile, and we can hopefully take advantage.

Last edited:
In the old days we would have been thrown straight into a three day Lincoln meeting the week after Cheltenham- not the fecking Winter Derby and a flat season that then starts at Catterick for crying out loud !

Perhaps Racing for Change could now think about boosting the start of the Flat .

Back