Prix du Jockey Club

Parthenon transferred to Godolphin to run in this. It does all sound a little desperate. It wouldn't surprise me to see Frankie ride them to sleep from the front (again).

"Three horses were withdrawn from the €1.5m Prix du Jockey Club (French Derby, Gr1-2,100mT) on Wednesday morning as John Gosden's Alwaary (GB-Dynaformer), John Oxx's Sea the Stars (Ire-Cape Cross) and Alain de Royer Dupre's Gallilei (Fr-Ballingarry)left the now 16-strong field. Crowded House (GB-Rainbow Quest) was left in by Brian Meehan although the British trainer said that his colt would only go to Chantilly in the "unlikely" event of heavy rains over Epsom on Friday, writes Le Frog.
Supplementations could be added to the field as Godolphin declared its intention to add Parthenon (GB-Dubai Destination), formerly trained by Mark Johnston, while Prix Greffulhe (Gr2-2,000mT) winner Cutlass Bay (UAE-Halling) could join the fray for Darley, even though the Andre Fabre-trained colt was said to be a "possible rather than likely" starter. Rumour had it that the Aga Khan would also supplement his Prix de l'Avre (LR-2,000mT) winner Beheshtam (Fr-Peintre Celebre) in the race although he was rather seen as a classic distance type of horse. His rider Christophe Soumillon confirmed the news on Wednesday at Fontainebleau, leaving the favourite Silver Frost ride available, possibly for Olivier Peslier."

Great piece of info from frogsracing.

Supplements

BEHESHTAM as expected, but who'll surely find this too short and PARTHENON for Godolphin

Silver Frost has drifted out to 7/2 which is starting to look a backable price, if he continues to slide against the Fabre animal, I may go in. I just worry whether he'll stay 1m2f. Pedigree experts opinions? I know Steve is at Epsom but anyone else have a take?

No expert, but I don't think it will be a problem for him. Was getting a mile no problem at 2. Verglas has an average winning distance of 9.5f and the family includes the likes of High Rock (by Rock Of Gibraltar) who was 4th last year.

I've gone with a big outsider in this - Vesuve, 2/3 this year with the only defeat coming over an inadequate 9f (wins were in conditions races at 10 and 10.5f with dual winners in behind). His most recent victory included a judgement over Gallilei who then went on to run Beheshtem to a length (if I've done my maths correctly) at the end of last month over 12f, a distance surely more suited to Beheshtem than todays distance. Hope they aren't using Vesuve purely as a pacemaker for Wajir, would be a total waste if so and I've duly invested at 66/1.

Hello everybody,
I don't think Silver Frost will mind the trip either. He won the Guineas pretty well and Peslier will preserve the horse's stamina in the inside as long as he will be able to. I think he's the best horse in the field and should therefore win (I tipped him at 4.7 on frogsracing yeasterday and he's now closed to 5 : run for it !). Vesuve is a shrewd each way bet to me, and Westphalia is an obvious choice. Vesuve is by no means a pacemaker. Actually, Lellouche said he liked Wajir a bit more because his form was more solid but he said that the other one was improving all the time and could be anything. Beheshtam has to be of the Dalakhani caliber to overcome his inexperience.
Few clouds over Chantilly, nice little wind and chilly weather. The track should be very good.
I will report on frogsracing.com. If you want to ask something specific, leave a comment over there, although I will try to come back here during the afternoon. Cheers.

4/1 about Silver Frost is bloody massive, on form he should be about 2/1. It's Sea The Stars all over again in my opinion...

Agree with Martin that Vesuve is a bit big but I think Calvados Blues is a better outsider. Off to a bleedin' village fete with the missus for the afternoon so may end up missing it.

Very difficult race as many runners has shown a similar level of form.
I think SFrost was seriously favored by race conditions on his last race. He was given a very good ride off a fast pace and found the gaps when the pacemakers tired. It wouldn´t be that easy today. I also have my doubts about the trip for him. It could well be a place lay bet for me.
FAR will be prominent from a bad draw (like vison detat last year) and could be dangerous, but I don´t think he is good enough to win though.
Beheshtam looks to me like a 12f horse and his inexperience is a negative. They paid 60.000€ to supplememt him, so they must think a lot off him. He pulled hard on his last race and didn´t have the clearest of runnings in the straight. He is a very talented colt, but the shorter trip is a concern to me today.
My pick is Wajir e/w. He is improving, has a good draw and his odds on betfair are very generous.

Last edited:
I think Silver Frost is the one to beat here for sure granted a trouble free passage, but there are several at bigger prices who are of interest, namely Calvados Blues and Vesuve, though of the O'Brien lot I think Set Sail is a massive price, he ran a cracking race when going far too fast on seasonal debut in a race won by Silver Frost at a time when the Ballydoyle horses were needing the run, and he might run well for longer than many people expect.

Nice boost for Silver Frost's form too. I've backed him with a view to trading out if money comes for him. The supplemented horse interests me though.

If I can get 4/1 for Le Havre to place then that would be a bet that I'd like.

Malibu Bay is an unexposed 40/1 shot too.

Great ride from Lemaire - thought Thulliez might have had it at the top of the straight, was travelling so well.

Hope you took the 4's Betsmate :)

Lemaire , Rouget and Le Havre - can they stop winning

Soumillon evidently thought he was on Zarkava .

They so should have sent RVW for this .

Saeed bin Suroor - is he Midas in reverse ?

A bit under on Betfair. Kicking myself for not taking the win price, but it's easy to say that with hindsight.

I'm sure when Naqoos got beaten in the Djebel that I tried to cheer Gamla Stan up by pointing out that Zafonic got beat in it by Kingmambo. "Le Havre is probably no Kingmambo" I said. Heh.

Back