3 SPIRIT ONE M.PS. 4 ANS

4 duke of marmalade ire m.ps. 4 ans

5 SADDEX (GB) M.PS. 5 ANS

6 red rock canyon ire m.ps. 4 ans

7 ANNA PAVLOVA GB F.PS. 5 ANS

8 MRS LINDSAY USA F.PS. 4 ANS

9 Diyakalanie f.ps. 4 ans

Live on ATR at 3:20.

Ground is given as Very Soft but oddly there isn't a preponderance of soft ground form amongst the principles.

Of Zambezi Sun, Duke Of Marmalade and Mrs Lindsay, only the first-named has raced on ground like this and that was on Zambezi Sun's debut. (I'm not counting DoM's run in the QEII as Soft ground).

On the other hand, Sageburg, Spirit One, Saddex and Anna Pavlova all have soft ground form. These four are available over here between 11/1 and 14/1.

Saddex - the only Group 1 winner of the four - interests me most and is currently 12/1 with Ladbrokes.

According to Paul Hanagan the ground is good not soft and faster than when Anna Pavlova ran there last time. He said they will wait till after the first race but she should be considered a doubtful runner.

Originally posted by betsmate@Apr 27 2008, 03:22 PM
Duke of Marmalade takes it. Was it me or did Murtagh make hard work of that?
I just don't think the horse has any turn of foot whatsoever.

DOM will probably always need a pacemaker to be seen at his best.

The Tatteralls Gold Cup will probably be up next for him if the ground is good..

Saddex is probably better over 12F

Had he got out I think Saddex could have won it, but I backed him in the expectation that he'd need every yard and that the ground would be softer so he actually surprised me in the end.

Totally agree about DoM and a pacemaker - Spirit One was a nice bonus for him today.

Saddex jockey lost the race,
nice race by the first 2 , both can win races this season in group 1 company.

Proviso a little bit dissapoitning, coastal Path nice win, horse to follow in the season too.

Given the type of horse DOM is (lazy) I would imagine he will come on considerably for todays run. Still gives the impression he could get even further than 10 furlongs.

Interesting that DoM had surgery over the winter on his pinned leg (and nice that it was mentioned before the race). They really must think a lot of him to have persevered since his bad injury at 2.

I find it interesting that Archipenko, and to a lesser degree DOM, were both used in a pacemaking role last year and they both win their first G1s on the same day.

There will no doubt be more G1s to come for both horses in the coming months.

DOM will probably be the last of the Danehills to enter stud. Be nice to see him go for the Classic but Curlin is probably a lot better.

Gareth,

Why delighted he got a group 1 win? I'm not sure any of his performances last year marked him out as a top class horse, albeit pretty consistent. But, in my view, consistently below a Group 1 winner.

Cue inflated rating from RP.

Oh. Trying to understand why they ran Saddex over 1m2? Surely this horse needs every inch of 1m4?

Similar situation to Ask last week, who just got away with it.

DoM 10/1 for the King George is laughable. Can't believe Soldier of Fortune is the same price ... ???

I think his performance justified his connections' decision. Anyway, there's not many 1m4f Group 1s around now (is the Coronation Cup the first?), and as a Group 1 winner he'd have a penalty elsewhere.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Apr 28 2008, 11:01 AM
I think his performance justified his connections' decision. Anyway, there's not many 1m4f Group 1s around now (is the Coronation Cup the first?), and as a Group 1 winner he'd have a penalty elsewhere.
According to Equidia after the race The Coronation Cup is the target.

Originally posted by sunybay@Apr 27 2008, 03:20 PM
Proviso a little bit dissapoitning, coastal Path nice win, horse to follow in the season too.
As long as there are no hiccups next time out next month at Longchamp, the Gold Cup is on the cards for Coastal Path.

Coastal isn't certain to get the 20f of the Gold Cup, but I feel he may well do so - his half-brother Reefscape (by Linamix) won the Cadran.

His dam, Coraline, seems a strong influence for stamina, an interesting contrast to her 4th dam Sixpence, a top class sprinting 2-y-o and full sister to top 5f horse Ballydam.

Originally posted by Venusian@Apr 28 2008, 07:27 PM
Coastal isn't certain to get the 20f of the Gold Cup, but I feel he may well do so - his half-brother Reefscape (by Linamix) won the Cadran.

His dam, Coraline, seems a strong influence for stamina, an interesting contrast to her 4th dam Sixpence, a top class sprinting 2-y-o and full sister to top 5f horse Ballydam.
I'm not sure he'll stay in a fast run Gold Cup, and I'm not sure whether connections are certain either. I've been following him since I backed him first time up over 12f at Clairefontaine last Summer when he led all the way, and believed then he was a top class stayer in the making, but maybe next year, not this one.

It's interesting to note that he was also initially engaged in the Ganay on Sunday and the Prix Niel last September, so there's no lack of class and speed, but 20f against the top stayers in Europe is going to be a big ask.

Back