Prix Maurice De Gheest

Gamla Stan

At the Start
Not a top class but very open renewal of the 6.5 furlong Group One at Deauville on Sunday. I'm very keen on Serious Attitude, she was impressive at York, should improve for that and this distance should be ideal, she also ran a very good time that day. I'd also be interested in Dunkerque at a bigger price whos got some bits and bobs of decent form who may see him placing.

Best prices as follows...

Kings Apostle 9/2
Naaqoos 9/2 (He wouldn't dare...)
African Rose 5/1
Serious Attitude 5/1
Tiza 7/1
Asset 8/1
Lesson In Humility 8/1
Delvita 33/1
Dunkerque 33/1
Varenar 40/1
Mariol 50/1
Sayif 50/1

May be a race to play on the PMU with 2 or 3 fancied French runners.

Marchand D'Or wouldn't be a bad marker to work with at home in trying to figure out if you have a potential sprinter, especially as he's won the Prix Maurice De Gheest three times.

What are your opinions?

African Rose for me - Ran really well last time out and usually takes a bit of time to come to hand. She has the form in the book and an excellent trainer. 5/1 ia very fair price as well in my opinion.

The 6/1 on offer about Serious Attitude looks massive to me, she looked in great form lto and should come on a bundle for that.

Naaqoos has been cut everywhere and you're basically taking a punt as to whether sprinting will be his bag, everyone was saying in Spring that 10 furlongs would be his optimum trip so he seems on the skinny side, as much as I admire his ability.

She's certainly the most solid EC, and ground should suit. I find the price of Serious Attitude and Kings Apostle in comparison to her a little strange. Asset could run well for Frankie - Godolphin's string seems to be going really well at present.

I can't believe the winner paid 14/1 on the PMU, after backing him e/w in the July Cup and leaving the race here you can probably imagine my feelings towards the result of that...

loved it and backed Kings Apostle. at 14/1 - 148:10 to be precise. I do not like to advertise their business, but racebets does take british clients and they do pay french races with the french prices. might be worth opening an account if you do have bets in france on a regular basis.

just recently said to the husband that I start having some sort of respect for haggas, couldnt have him for years but recently found him taking sense. mind you, we arrived "with him" at York in may, when he was claiming his tickets saying "dont know why I get these, my horse has no chance anyway in the big one, he needs good ground and I shouldnt even run here" - sure enough kings apostle finished 2nd that day ....

Krizon, as Gareth said... He is very talented but he's a nutcase too, runs so keenly in races.

Rakti fell into a similar bracket but he was a little more successful!

Well done Willie Haggas, has done really well with this horse, but why did he jock off Liam Jones?

Last edited:
Back