Punchestown Wed

Cantoris

At the Start
A nice card although there aren't loads of runners. Some Present against Sweeps in the first is a nice opener and I'm looking forward to Flemenscall in the last. He beat Heron Trix the last day and the latter is owned by the Feathered Lady guys. He had previously been thrid in a Bangor bumper and the second went onto win and the winner, Fiveways, ran a blinder against Start Me Up in the cheltenham winners bumper. Looks decent form to me if he handles the drop down to 2m. The main danger is a mare who won a mare's point to point bumper so could be vulnerable.

It was pretty hilarious - from the lovely Gary O'Brien wishing fervently beforehand that they didn't go a dawdle ending in a sprint, to the pony cantering for 2/3 of the race. Even Dessie drawled, rather sarcastically, that they wouldn't be breaking any course records. Not sure that told anyone anything - nice gentle motor round for the horses, no pressure, no hassle. Had it been a far more typical Irish field of just the 500, it would've been a lot more interesting to see how the horses jumped and coped then.

Back