Punchestown

harry

At the Start
I have been to Cheltenham since 1990 and Punchestown since foot n mouth(Fairhouse&Leopardstown)

I look forward to Punchestown more than Cheltenham.

Do others think this or not?

P.S I live in Cardiff

My order as of last weekend would now be.

1. Cheltenham - the first time the best from both sides of the Irish Sea clash
2. Aintree - my local festival, great craic as they say and great racing
3. Auteuil in May/June - went for the first time last weekend, how anyone can enjoy watching samey birch fences over the individual masterpieces at Auteuil astounds me. Also will likely see Denman, Remember Rose, Louping D'Ainay, Mid Dancer, Princesse D'Anjou and Oculi face off against each other.
4. Punchestown - mainly for the banks races tbh but it lengthens the jumps season another few weeks so it´s all good.

1. Cheltenham - Cream of the crop comes together
2. Leopardstown - Special place around Christmas
3. Aintree - The girls dress up nicely and many a short priced Cheltenham winner can be an easy lay
4. Punchestown - Cheltenham hero's get one last run before being put away for another season

I think Cheltenham in March is overrated-unless you are in a box or getting some form of hospitality its crowded and uncomfortable.
I like Aintree a lot but I haven't been for 6 years.
Punchestown is grand early on in the week but I believe it gets fairly crowded towards the weekend.
One of the best days I ever had at the races was the day before the Scots National at Ayr.6 winning bets and great company.

This Paddy Power weekend is a great craic and is almost as good as the Festival. I look forward to it, and to the Hennessy weekend, almost as much as I look forward to the Festival. My favourite meetings of the year are

The Festival
The Hennessy
Paddy Power weekend
Aintree

I always get a good buzz out of the Open meeting as well.

That said, today's card was a shade on the dissapointing side for me.

Powers meeting is usually really enjoyable, but this years has been pretty average and that is being kind.

But even the very best Powers meeting does not even remotely come near the Festival itself.

Not in terms of quality of racing, no - but it is a meeting I still look forward to almost as much as the Festival though. I wasn't even on the lash this year and still thought it was great!

No doubt, Gal.

On a semi-related note, the Fairyhouse easter meeting has always been one of my favourites, particularly Powers Gold Cup and then National day.

I would also like to point out the relative merits of the Bellewstown three day July festival... :D

Not in terms of quality of racing, no - but it is a meeting I still look forward to almost as much as the Festival though. I wasn't even on the lash this year and still thought it was great!

Even in terms of anticipation it does not come close...are you really saying last Thurday night you were as excited (racing related now!) as you are on the Monday before the Cheltenham Festival?!?...grand it opens up the start of the NH season proper but it is not a patch on the festival for me on any level.

Went to aintree for first time last year and wont bother again. Its worth seeing once but simply doesnt compare to Cheltenham. The festival is a pain admittedly (although becoming alittle easier to handle in recent times) but when you see the stands at the top of the hill you know that you are going to be completely taken by the whole occasion. Aintree lacked that for me. I was suprised how poor the viewing was too and although its not Aintrees fault, it is set in a very drab area

Tingle Creek meeting is a cracking one for me as is the Tote trophy Newbury meeting

Last edited:
Back