Punchestowns

Guest_

At the Start
That was seriously impressive today. Great big powerhouse of a horse.

Some really nice young horses in this division this year, Punchetowns, Kasbah Bliss and to a lesser degree Shakervilz.

Impossible to be anything but impressed by that performance.

He does look like he has the scope to jump a fence alright, granger.

Punchestowns was all set to go over fences this season, until that romp in the Cheltenham handicap fto. If he jumps fences better than he jumps hurdles, then he is going to take some stopping in novice chases next season.

He actually made a fairly serious error early on and was knocked out of his rhythm so the way he won was especially impressive; will win the World Hurdle based on that.

I still fancy Kasbah Bliss to win, but at the same time I can see why plenty would see Punchestown as a worthy festival favourite.

Francois Doumen says that he will be brought back over hurdles in the New Year, though he's wasting his time. :D

He actually made a fairly serious error early on and was knocked out of his rhythm so the way he won was especially impressive; will win the World Hurdle based on that.

I thought his hurdling was far from fluent today, Rory. Only his fifth race over hurdles so one would hope that his jumping will improve.

Will take a serious horse to beat him in the World Hurdle alright.

Geraghty reckons he is still a bit novicey.

Warbler and other rating keepers, what kind of rating have you given this? Mine looks suspiciously high and is in danger of distorting the others if taken at face value.

I've called staying hurdlers a few names before now, believing as I do that they're essentially given an exalted and borderline fraudulant status in terms of class.

Yes he has run a very fast time, and one of the highest I've ever given a staying hurdler ( I recall giving Limestone Lad a marginally faster one in heavy ground when he was at his prime). I note with a degree of amusement that most see him as a chaser, and the runner up was also a converted chaser. Chasers tend to have to run at a genuine grade 1 pace races more frequently than their hurdling equivilants and that both accquitted themselves so well off a fast pace, only confirms my suspicion. I can easily se that same filling one two agan come March, as I believe Kasbah Bliss is very hit and miss and has never been asked to really go off a fast pace. There are a few flies in the ointment tough?

Lough Derg to start with, and Brave Inca has a dosage profile to suggest he gets 3 miles. There is another possibility yet (unlikely) but I'll keep that to myself:blink:

I can accept people banging on about Dosage prior to the Derby (even though it's clearly a load of old guff), but it has no place whatsoever in discussions about Stayers' Hurdles, and nor does Lough Derg for that matter!

I think Lough Derg has every place in the discussion as theres a good chance he'll dictate the pace the race is run at, which could very easily effect the outcome

I think Lough Derg has every place in the discussion as theres a good chance he'll dictate the pace the race is run at, which could very easily effect the outcome

He'll probably lead, but he certainly won't be dictating the pace, unless for some reason Punchestowns scares off nearly all the opposition. No defence of dosage? (No actual offence intended btw ~ I just think you're bonkers)

Looks like Kasbah Bliss and Punchestowns will clash in the Cleeve Hurdle on Saturday week. Should be very interesting ahead of the Stayers Hurdle.

Hmmm - will answer a fair few questions (potentially!!) hope they both run. Trialls day is usually as much entertainment as the festival itself, so its great to have them all out!!!

You kind of hit the nail on the head abit there Trudji...its just a trial. Imagine Punchestowns will be hard enough to beat with the ground on the easy side and KB having his first run in some time. Punchestowns will need to be beating him well in a couple of weeks if he is to confirm that form in a couple of months time.

Nothing will come close to catching Punchestown if the ground is on the softer side and this is a fact.

Back