Putting our prize money into perspective

Aragorn

At the Start
I had to check this when I read it because I couldn't believe it at first.

In Australia Darley homebreds won all five Group 1 2yo races last year. Amazingly, Sepoy, the winner of the Blue Diamond and Golden Slipper as a 2yo and once raced as a 3yo (And this is the bit that shocked me) has won more prize money than Pour Moi and Frankel put together already. After only contesting one race as a 3yo!!! I find that staggering, and if I was running UK racing, I would find it deeply worrying.

If you were investing where would you go? History and prestige can only count for so much...

Agreed Aragorn.

Interesting race at Hereford tonight, the David Pipe trained Ladyvie has her first UK start having previously been trained in France, shehas raced 12 times in total for 0 wins, 1 2nd and 2 3rds and earnings of £15,000 racing in the provinces.

Compare that with the rest of the field:

Factotum: 16 runs, 3 wins, 2 2nds, 1 3rd and £16,668
Intac: 28 runs, 5 wins, 3 2nds, 4 3rds and £22,484
Morestead: 40 runs, 3 wins, 6 2nds, 7 3rds and £20,352
Timoca: 13 runs, 1 win, 1 2nd, 1 3rd and £4,081

Depressing.

I've sold my share in my horse because of the cost. I never expected to make a return on investment but I thought given a decent set of results I might cover 50% of my outlay. That hasn;t happened even though my horse won 3 times during the time I was involved (Just over 2 years) and placed numerous times. He was generally running in class 2/3 handicaps as well so normally for £6k first prizes. I have no idea why anyone who owns a NH horse rated less than 100 bothers. It's a guaranteed way to lose money.

There is no reason why there should be any kind of bookmakers in England - there is no argument for them.

Depressing.

I've sold my share in my horse because of the cost. I never expected to make a return on investment but I thought given a decent set of results I might cover 50% of my outlay. That hasn;t happened even though my horse won 3 times during the time I was involved (Just over 2 years) and placed numerous times. He was generally running in class 2/3 handicaps as well so normally for £6k first prizes. I have no idea why anyone who owns a NH horse rated less than 100 bothers. It's a guaranteed way to lose money.

What about the ones rated 100plus. The whole game is a disaster now. The bookmakers won`t even let you bet them. A couple of winners and account closed

What about the ones rated 100plus. The whole game is a disaster now. The bookmakers won`t even let you bet them. A couple of winners and account closed

You're completely right Roddy, but at least with those you have a chance of picking up the odd decent pot and at least covering a decent proportion of your outlay. If your horse is rated 80 or 120 it costs the same to train them so the maths will never make sense for low grade NH horses. Same applies on the flat as well.

I only bet on exchanges now anyway because the bookies were not keen on taking my bets either, especially when I only popped up every so often and took their money.

Back