R P Whelan

Cantoris

At the Start
Much has been made of young Joseph O'Brien's arrival on the apprentice scene but this young lad really impressed me tonight riding for Jim Bolger. Plenty of style and a decent clock in his head. he let his winner get a little away from him but gave the beaten horse a better ride, but still lost out to a Tony Martin horse. Very stylish and able to use the whip and with the right man to make him a decent apprentice.

Funny you mention Ronan Whelan Cantoris as he was brought to my attention early last week by a friend of mine who knows him.

Yet to see his rides but sounds like he's a potential pro of the future - rode Bishpasha for Bolger last night at Leopardstown who ran a decent race in a big field handicap.

Good ride on Seachtanach but probably got there too soon on Maidin Moch.Jim is a good man for supporting his apprentices -would be no surprise to se him riding plenty of winners this season.

Good ride on Seachtanach but probably got there too soon on Maidin Moch.Jim is a good man for supporting his apprentices -would be no surprise to se him riding plenty of winners this season.

I actually think the opposite, I think he wasn't strong enough to hold Seachtanach who took a fierce hold. It was a terrible race and there were only five of the thriteen runners under the age of five and only two of them any form (the O'Brien horse being the other) so I think he got away with it.

On Maidin Moch he rode a nice race albeit he was a little wide. But he took it up at the right time and was beaten near the line the same way as all Tony Martin horses win, coming from off the pace and getting there close home. but Maidin Moch would have been a good winner without the winner. Not his fault Martin had a runner in it.

I think this lad has more of a future than Joseph O'brien and will keep my eye on him. Hope he doesn't get the same exposure as Danny Mullins. Apprentices need their feet firmly on the ground for a few years.

Young Joseph was very good on Griffins horse last night-I had laid him for a place and thought he went off like a scalded cat.They are obviously giving it a serious go with him.

Anne-Marie O'Brien was at the sales yest. I wonder are they going to buy a few jumpers for him to ride in time?

Back