Racing On Christmas Day

Simon

At the Start
Why on earth do they have racing on Christmas Day in France? I can't imagine why any jockey would want to ride...

Do they have a lot of Jehovas over there or something...

Who cares about Christmas Day? Jockeys earn money by riding so why wouldn't they want to ride? If I was given double time to work tomorrow I'd be the first man in the office.

But you're a devout Mammonite, so that's a given! It might be that a lot of people want to host their Christmas Day parties at the courses, no different from hosting them at hotels and restaurants, which don't close on Christmas Day, but positively encourage patronage. The courses have good restaurants and putting on the racing is an added attraction. Jockeys wouldn't be chowing down on the traditional blow-out anyway, so why not? Amazing how far religion has lost its stranglehold on holidays, when businesses can open, etc.!

It's all down to cultural differences at the end of the day - I know other European countries (most notably Spain) celebrate the giving of presents on the feast of the Epiphany rather than on Christmas Day and I'm sure France has various reasons why they have racing on Christmas Day.

The 24th is much more of an important day than the 25th in a lot of western europe.

Back