Racing On Normal Tv

Euronymous

Senior Jockey
What the hell is going on? No coverage of the Craven meeting last week, no coverage as far as i can tell of Punchestown - yet we have Nottingham on BBC2 now sharing time with the Snooker. Weird.

The Beeb usually show this day from Epsom but due to the developments there it has been transferred to Nottingham.

Not on their own channels, but you get RUK as part of their package. (And NASN, which I'd imagine would be of interest you).

I can`t have satellite tv because of a big tree outside my flat and cable isn`t available around here so i`m only on Setanta via Broadband.

What on earth is the BBC up to?

It makes no sense at all broadcasting this run of the mill stuff. It bears no resemblance to an Epsom spring meeting card.

If it's been transferred from Epsom they are under no obligation to show it, remember a few years ago when they bought the rights to show the top Sunday races from Longchamp, then refused to broadcast it live.

But this card bears no relation whatsoever to the Epsom meeting.

For instance, where have the Blue Riband Trial, Great Met, City & Suburban and Warren Stakes gone?

I assumed the Curtain Call race today was the Blue Riband Trial but they didn't use the name for some reason.

Originally posted by Venusian@Apr 23 2008, 04:03 PM
What on earth is the BBC up to?

It makes no sense at all broadcasting this run of the mill stuff. It bears no resemblance to an Epsom spring meeting card.

If it's been transferred from Epsom they are under no obligation to show it, remember a few years ago when they bought the rights to show the top Sunday races from Longchamp, then refused to broadcast it live.
What would you prefer? More boring snooker or a repeat of Diagnosis Murder?

Racing fans get a raw deal off the BBC, they should stick the whole Punchestown meeting on interactive, they put all sorts of garbage on that such as indoor bowls.

Originally posted by Venusian@Apr 23 2008, 05:46 PM
If that's the case, what happened to the narrative of the sport?
No idea. Presumably they'll revert back at Epsom.

Originally posted by Arkwright@Apr 23 2008, 01:30 PM
The Beeb usually show this day from Epsom but due to the developments there it has been transferred to Nottingham.
i wasnt aware that there was a derby trial at epsom?

To my knowledge Punchestown has never been shown on terrestrial tv apart from being part of another racing programme (BBC on Wednesday, C4 tomorrow).

C4 withdrew from the Craven meeting (and for example the Newbury Friday card and the cutback on tomorrow's Sandown card) because it costs serious money to produce live outside broadcast television while an old film or video costs next to nothing.

The economics are quite simple - unfortunately I'm of the view racing fans do very well out of terrestrial tv in comparison to say cricket fans.

Originally posted by stodge@Apr 24 2008, 09:43 PM

The economics are quite simple - unfortunately I'm of the view racing fans do very well out of terrestrial tv in comparison to say cricket fans.
As their coverage of Nottingham consisted of a "preview & analysis" from Parrott & Persad from the Crucible the cost would be very limited as would just transmitting the pictures from Punchestown as no outside broadcast would be needed.
The fact is, racing coverage has been severely cut back on the BBC in recent years as well as deteriorating while they would dearly love to cover lots of cricket.

If they didn't spend the licence fee on nonsenses like 'Gypsy and Traveller Radio' and a huge website they might be able properly to cover a sport which is also the country's 6th biggest industry [excluding betting revenue!] and things like children's TV which has also been severely cut back :angy:

Back