Racing Quiz

simmo

Senior Jockey
Right then - quiz for you. All questions refer to the period from 2000 to date and refer to all European Group 1 & 2 races.

1) Since 2000 (inc.) which jockey has won the most European Group 1 & 2 races?
2) Which horse has won the most Group 1 & 2 races over the same period?
3) Which horse has won the most Group 2 races since 2000?
4) Which trainer has won the most Group 1's in the period?
5) And which trainer has won the most Group 2's in the period?
6) Which jockey has won the most European Group 1 & 2 races at the distance of 1m3f (2200m) in the period?

There are some in Germany and Italy. The Prix Hocquart in France, too. I think Andrasch Starke is the answer to that one.

I would say the answer to 1 is Murtagh or Peslier, I go for Murtagh.
2 is Goldikova
4 is Aidan O'Brien
6 I reckon Gareth Flynn is right there.

3 and 5 are cracking questions. I reckon the answer is a UK horse and trainer. So I will go for Stoute and Nayyir.

:blink:

This is real anorak territory - I'm surprised that at least ten august members haven't shot in and clobbered the lot by now! Well done, Simmo, you've stiffed 'em, it seems!

Right then - quiz for you. All questions refer to the period from 2000 to date and refer to all European Group 1 & 2 races.

1) Since 2000 (inc.) which jockey has won the most European Group 1 & 2 races?
2) Which horse has won the most Group 1 & 2 races over the same period?
3) Which horse has won the most Group 2 races since 2000?
4) Which trainer has won the most Group 1's in the period?
5) And which trainer has won the most Group 2's in the period?
6) Which jockey has won the most European Group 1 & 2 races at the distance of 1m3f (2200m) in the period?

kinane or Dettori?
Goldikova
?
A. Obrien
A. Obrien
Dettori

Frankie is correct for the first one - and by quite a margin 185 vs Murtagh 106 in second. (100 or so of them for Godolphin).

AOB is not the correct answer to 5.

Think On The bridle completes the set.

1) Lanfranco Dettori
2) Goldikova & Yeats
3) Millenary
4) Aidan O'Brien
5) Andre Fabre
6) Andrasch Starke

I make it 10 Group 1&2 wins for Yeats, but 11 Group 1 wins for Goldikova (in Europe, 14 in all).

For the doubters of Frankie's genius - here is the list of what he has won since 2000. Gareth is quite right about Goldikova - I was missing the 2011 Rothschild.

1,000 Guineas Stakes2Bayerisches Zuchtrennen1Breeders Cup Classic1Breeders Cup Filly & Mare Turf1Breeders Cup Juvenile1Breeders Cup Juvenile Turf2Breeders Cup Turf3British Champions Fillies & Mares Stakes1British Champions Sprint Stakes2Canadian International2Celebration Mile2Challenge Stakes1Champagne Stakes5Cherry Hinton Stakes3Cheveley Park Stakes2Coronation Cup1Critérium de Saint-Cloud1Dante Stakes1Derby Italiano1Derby Stakes1Deutschland-Preis2Doncaster Cup1Dubai Golden Shaheen1Dubai Sheema Classic2Dubai World Cup3Duke of York Stakes2Eclipse Stakes1Falmouth Stakes1Fillies' Mile2Flying Childers Stakes3Gerling Preis2Gimcrack Stakes1Godolphin Mile4Gold Cup1Goodwood Cup2Gran Criterium1Gran Premio del Jockey Club3Gran Premio di Milano1Grand Prix de Deauville1Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud1Great Voltigeur Stakes2Grosser Preis von Baden2Hardwicke Stakes1Henry II Stakes3Hungerford Stakes1International Stakes3Irish 2,000 Guineas2Irish Champion Stakes2Irish Oaks3Japan Cup2Jockey Club Stakes1July Stakes1King Edward VII Stakes2King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes1Lennox Stakes1Lockinge Stakes2Lonsdale Cup2Lowther Stakes1Matron Stakes1May Hill Stakes2Mehl-Mülhens-Rennen1Middle Park Stakes1Middleton Stakes1Nassau Stakes2Oaks Stakes1Oettingen-Rennen1Park Hill Stakes3Park Stakes1Poule d'Essai des Poulains2Preis von Europa2Premio Carlo Vittadini1Premio Ribot1Premio Roma2Premio Vittorio di Capua4Prince of Wales's Stakes3Prix Chaudenay2Prix Daniel Wildenstein3Prix de Diane1Prix de la Forêt1Prix de l'Abbaye de Longchamp1Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe2Prix de Royallieu2Prix de Sandringham1Prix d'Ispahan1Prix Dollar1Prix du Cadran1Prix du Jockey Club2Prix du Moulin de Longchamp2Prix du Muguet1Prix Greffulhe1Prix Guillaume d'Ornano3Prix Jacques Le Marois2Prix Jean Romanet1Prix Jean-Luc Lagardère1Prix Kergorlay1Prix Marcel Boussac1Prix Niel1Prix Vermeille1Prix Vicomtesse Vigier2Queen Anne Stakes3Queen Elizabeth II Stakes2Racing Post Trophy2Ribblesdale Stakes3Royal Lodge Stakes2Sandown Mile1St. Leger Stakes3Summer Mile Stakes1Superlative Stakes1Sussex Stakes2Tattersalls Gold Cup1UAE Derby2Vincent O'Brien National Stakes1Vintage Stakes3York Stakes1Yorkshire Cup3Yorkshire Oaks1

PS - yes I know non-European races are in this list - thee are 197 wins here.

Last edited:
I think its easy to forget how often Godolphin target the German and Italian races, and obviously he goes back to Italy to race in a lot of their Group 1/2 races even when Godolphin don't have a runner.

Back