Racing UK "i-cards"

rorydelargy

At the Start
Just noticed this when doing some Leger Meeting research. Here's the official press release (sounds impressive, doesn't it? I especially like the closing quote!).

Racing UK and the Press Association Sport are delighted to launch the iCard (racinguk.com/iCard), an interactive and animated racecard, and a must-visit destination for all racefans.

The Racing UK-led initiative is supported by Press Association Sport’s extensive database and most importantly is free-to-use.

Its features include:

• In-depth statistical analysis
• Live racing, video form and archive
• Latest news, betting and results
• Racecourse information
• Comprehensive database
• An innovative Predictor service

Head of Online at Racing UK, Simon Brydon said: “The key element of the iCard, is its highly visual style and strong graphics, making it stand out and easy to use.

“It has primarily been designed to meet the expectations of the modern internet user as it is both interactive and animated, therefore appealing to a younger audience. But it will also appeal to the experienced racegoer as it will contain full form and all the other data that they have come to expect.

“One major attraction is the video-form, so rather than trying to interpret a previous run from the formbook, users can see with their own eyes how a horse last ran.

“The iCard is easy to integrate and many of the leading bookmakers have already shown interest in featuring it on their websites.

“The aim is for the iCard to become racing’s ultimate information, form and betting guide. There can’t be a more comprehensive racecard out there - and what’s more it’s all free.”

Designed and built by digital agency Chroma (chromaagency.com), the Predictor service offers users a compelling and in-depth breakdown of every UK race, in an easy to digest format.

The Predictor features:

• Analysis of more than 9,000 races for each prediction
• Database containing 2,400 lines of code
• 250,000 previous results, which continues to grow via the PA’s vast database
• Consideration of 40 different values – or rating parameters - for each horse
• A rating system, based on a sliding scale of factors, implemented by Racing UK and PA experts
• Swift evaluation of past performances of each horse, jockey and trainer
• A predicted finishing position for each horse

Brydon added: “The Predictor is a vital tool in dissecting various strands of information and form in a fast and easy-to-understand manner. It is a vital part of the iCard and ensures users are fully armed when it comes to picking winners.”

I'm assuming it's a blip in their system but I have just had a look at these and you can look at the previous form videos free of charge? I'm guessing this is an introductory offer..

They do currently allow to watch back the last seven days racing free of charge (Which is a handy tool if people don't use it) but i'm amazed they are offering free video form.. Amazed and pleased if its true!!

I'm being a tad mischievous I must admit. The information contained within the system, as Mr Prufrock suggests, is appallingly inaccurate. Click on full form for example, and you'll see the distances beaten by winner info to be wrong in almost every instance. How this can be utilised to find winners is beyond me. The Predictor itself seems to have a default setting which chooses the topweight as the winner in each race, with seemingly random choices for the places (actually identical selections depending only on field size). Anyone naive enough to do their work the night before would believe that the application is working. The videos would be useful but include races where the horse in question was a non runner. Typical PA fare it appears.

I see that for subscribers there is an archive in place now.

Does anyone know how far back that goes?

If you have a bet 365 account you can watch replays covering the last few months anyway

Back