Racings A Hard Game

happyaslarry

At the Start
Over twelve months ago I rightly or wrongly contributed to this discussion

http://talkinghorses.co.uk/forum/index.php...topic=17752&hl=

Since then I have kept a close eye on the progress or lack of progress of this horse, named Past Gambles. He never appeared on the racetrack and today he eventually went through the sales ring at Doncaster with the hammer falling for a meagre 1,400 guineas.

Some may have learned a lesson about the racing game from this episode, particularly the importance of selectivity when purchasing.

"the horse looks flashy enough but more of a show jumper than a racehorse" is possibly the most accurate quote on that horse in the entire thread.

No idea why Grant wouldn't want to race him ie. couldn't afford him, not good enough, injured etc. so would be wrong to jump to any conclusions about him from that point of view.

Do you know who bought him Larry or where he's going to?

Nick Shiambiricos just confirmed on Betfair Radio that people are just leaving unsold horses at the Sales this week because they can't or won't afford the money to get them home or feed them if they do.

Really awful stuff going on - it's going to be a very brutal adjustment for the breeding industry.
The knackers must be making a mint.

I see that only a month after Archie started his thread, the horse went through the sale ring at Ascot, unsold.

So, presumably the proposed syndication never got off the ground - and Archie saved his money!

I remember noting in November that the horse was due to go through the ring at that month's Ascot sales, he was led out unsold at £2700 (misreported in the RP bloodstock section as being gns, which Ascot do not sell at).

I can see why this thread has been started but even spending significant amounts of money on a horse with the right profile and good breeding doesn't always guarantee a decent racehorse either.

Back