Recommendations?

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
Re the Grand National, I don't know if it's the RPO site's fault or not, but when I try to select then print the GN field, the first page prints fine but subsequent pages print over previous pages.

This happened when I tried it at work too, hence my suspicion that it's a problem at the RP end.

I was able to use the pasted first page to write out my ratings as far as Musica Bella but I'm stumped.

The SL site print is too small.

Can anyone recommend any other site from which I can print the field in grid form in a decent size of font?

Tried it, EC, thanks, but it doesn't do it in grid form.

Edit - just tried it with the SL site and it's done the trick, EC. Many thanks.

I'm a happy Easter bunny now.

Last edited:
Presumably they don't have a "printer-friendly" option because they want you to pay 20p for the pdf file.

I just checked and it appears you can't yet purchase pdfs for the National card yet anyway...

Which given they are a newspaper is really pretty fair.

20p for a file is extortionate. You can buy a 50-page tabloid for that some days. By the time you add on printing costs (about 10p per sheet) the whole exercise becomes ridiculously expensive.

It's the kind of thing that's putting me off racing altogether. I haven't done anything yet about my subscription the Flat form book. I'm seriously thinking of giving the game up.

And how much useful information would be in a 50-page tabloid. Zilch.

20p is not extortionate if you think about the value of the data and the expense taken to gather it, store it, reproduce it and publish it.

As for printing costs of 10p. Compared with what... someone else printing it, packaging it up, transporting it, a vendor stocking it, you driving in to town to buy it? Please.

But add it all up for three, four, five, sometimes more, big races on a Saturday or festival meeting and it ends up getting prohibitive. It's just not for me because it's on top of the £32 per month I pay for the Form Book, which is, after all, published by the same company.

I'd agree it is not a viable solution for lots of races. But even the five big races on a Saturday would cost less than a Racing Post paper.

The publishers know that the vast majority aren't interested in that Class K seller from Catterick, but they can subside the provision of that data through advertising. Something that you're not getting to the same degree when purchasing a pdf.

Micropayments are going to have to work on the Internet if long-term it becomes a viable replacement for paper-based products and the quality is to be maintained.

Personally I quite like to have the choice of:

- Paying for specifically what I wanted with no/limited advertising
- Paying less for more than I want, but with limitations on ease of access and subsided by advertising.
- Finding a free solution but compromising on quality.

Some would suggest that a free solution that doesn't compromise on quality would be the holy grail; but the realist in me would question its long term viability.

And how much useful information would be in a 50-page tabloid. Zilch.

20p is not extortionate if you think about the value of the data and the expense taken to gather it, store it, reproduce it and publish it.

As for printing costs of 10p. Compared with what... someone else printing it, packaging it up, transporting it, a vendor stocking it, you driving in to town to buy it? Please.
:confused:Is this theway to think when you pay 5p in the £ on a bet what's 10p better to win than loose is it not.:whistle:

Back