Rest of Aintree Day 3

Bar the Bull

At the Start
We already have cards for the Aintree Hurdle and the National.

But there are some absolutely brilliant races in prospect on the undercard.

The Grade 2 Mersey Novices' Hurdle looks brilliant.

Cue Card
Rock on Ruby
Spirit Son
Sam Winner (who Ruby prefers to Rock on Ruby)
Recession Proof

The 2m novice Grade 1 chase looks a bit poor, but still sees Finian's Rainbow vs Ghizao vs Dan Breen vs Starluck

A white hot 3m handicap chase, with Bensalem, Great Endeavour, Crescent Island and Take the Breeze.

And a very good looking bumper. Allure of Illusion runs against Cinders and Ashes, Montbazon amd a load of potential Tartars.

I look forward to an almighty Finian's Rainbow/Spirit Son double.

I hope the market gets Cue Card wrong again - I have a feeling there could be a huge rick.

Last edited:
13:45 - 2m 4f Class 1 (4yo plus) John Smith s Mersey Novices Hurdle (Grade 2)
Favourites: Spirit Son (3) , Rock On Ruby (4) , Cue Card (9/2) , Sam Winner (13/2) - Others 12 or more

14:15 - 2m 0f Class 1 (5yo plus) John Smith s Maghull Novices Chase (Grade 1)
Favourites: Finians Rainbow (4/5) , Ghizao (7/2) , Starluck (5) , Dan Breen (10) - Others 50 or more

14:50 - 2m 4f Class 1 (4yo plus) John Smith s Aintree Hurdle (Grade 1)
Favourites: Peddlers Cross (6/4) , Binocular (9/4) , Oscar Whisky (29/5) , Celestial Halo (14) - Others 14 or more

15:25 - 3m 1f Class 1 (5yo plus) John Smith s Handicap Chase (Listed)
Favourites: Bensalem (9/2) , Great Endeavour (5) , Reve de Sivola (8) , Prince De Beauchene (9) - Others 10 or more

On days like this I'm gutted, partly because I don't drink and secondly I'm in work until 9:30

Last edited:
I must be seeing the first different to everyone else, as I have Spirit Son and Rock on Ruby (very underrated), and have them clear of the first 2 in the market.

Me. First time I have backed him. I don't think his form earlier this season entitled him to be 6/4 in the Supreme, but it entitled him to be 9/2 in this. Had a bit on last night, and I think he should be 5/2 or so in this. I don't like Sam Winner, and I think the Henderson horse might be a touch over-rated. I believe Cue Card can do better than at Cheltenham; he'll need to.

Surely Spirit River looked the stronger stayer that day?

Rock on Ruby though deserves a big prize this season - a lovely game horse.

Cheers. I had a fortune on him at cheltenham and said to my Dad after the race he'll win the champion next year.

Yes he is. Three disappointments in a row there. He's more or less as good as I thought, but the winner is a high class novice.

Edit - I agree with Hamm in a way. Disappointing relative to expectations.

Last edited:
I've backed Finian's (of course) with a small saver on Starluck. I don't want to be too brave but am I wrong in saying Ghizao could struggle?

Over the moon my little fella won - not as impressive as Cheltenham but did well to come back after 3 sticky ones in a row. I love this horse.

Not sure Finian's will win much in open company. He doesn't finish his races well enough for me. Ghizao looks a good prospect on softer ground. Could be a Paddy Power horse.

Back