Rest of Curragh and Saturday's Racing

trackside528

At the Start
Decent supporting card at the Curragh and the (Overdose-less) Temple Stakes look about the pick of tommorrow's action.

I'm normally loath to oppose a filly in form, particularly when she's guaranteed to relish tommorrow's ground, but at anything shorter than 5/2 I'll be opposing Emily Blake in the Ridgewood Pearl tommorrow. Won nicely the last day but I'm far from convinced she gets a mile in this sort of company. Beach Bunny will act on the ground but not sure she's ideally suited by it either, a comment which doesn't apply to Tracey Collins' filly Girouette. Five lengths behind Emily Blake in the Athasi over 7f last time out, she has scope for improvement over a mile (though,admittedly, she will need to find it to get in the mix) will relish the ground and looks a decent E/W bet at 10's.

Air Chief Marshal looked a nice prospect the last day (looking like he very much knew his job - unlike the vast majority of Ballydoyle 2yo's at this stage) and would appear to have the Marble Hill at his mercy. Looks a hot renewal of the Greenlands Stakes as well. Utmost Respect should relish conditions, having surprised me when winning the Duke of York. That run suggests he may well have improved a shade over the winter and, if that is the case, he should prove too good for the likes of the admirable Jumbajukiba.

Anybody have any strong fancies?

Should be remembered Air Chief Marshal is dropping a full two furlongs tomorrow. I know they will bounce him out and given the ground it should be more of a test - but it is still a big difference considering he looked full of running at the end of 7 furlongs the last day.

Great ride from Murtagh there, rode the others to sleep from the front.

Nice to see a big win for John Hayden.

Jumbajukiba should have sound claims in these conditions why Georgebernardshaw is much better than he showed the last day and is another who should relish these conditions.

Utmost Respect one of my fav horses but he's not the only horses to have his conditions and 6/4 looks short enough.

Utmost Respect does it....

What was Fran Berry doing out in the middle of the track?

Decent enough run from Bushranger on ground that would not suit either.

Last edited:
Seems to be only the whole general public and Declan McDonagh that know the place to be on heavy at the Curragh is the rail. Glad to see Utmost Respect win but that was another hard race for him.

I think he probably has when you look at his form. Today's race not the easiest to assess given he bagged the rail but he was giving them weight. I know Richard has always said they would tread carefully with him last year because he didn't think he'd be at his best until this year. A wet September and the Haydock Sprint Cup will probably be his Cup final.

Today's form looks solid enough to me; Jumbajukiba is no back marker on soft ground by any means, so to give him a couple of pounds and a two and a half length beating looks solid form. Whether it is top class form is another thing entirely.

Maurice D'Gheest looks a race that might suit as well.

Back