Rest of Fairyhouse Monday

Bobbyjo

At the Start
This thread is an excuse to discuss the race involving Powerstation, Aitmatov and, most intriguingly, Nicanor plus a number of other interesting sorts.

Of course, was doing it off memory....he's the obvious one of interest, considering his beating of Solwhit pre-Cheltenham now looks pretty decent as well,

Cracking race is right.

Think the ground might be a touch on the firm side for Ninetieth Minute. Interesting to see how Serpentaria gets on stepped back up to 3m, no sort of price though :(

Lovely run there from Big Zeb, though I had thought he might be given a less positive ride and my 'optimisitc' put bet never got matched LOL!! Very happy to see the horse win again - a good ride from BG, he looked very buzzy for most of the way round and looks like he needs an experienced jock aboard; very well done anyway to Colm Murphy

Well done Colm Murphy indeed....a fair feat in getting him back in such good form after that Cheltenham fall.

He's a very gifted trainer indeed, will go right to the top if he so chooses (I mean, will he want a huge yard, and all that that entails, Cantoris?). What he's done with this horse and with Brave Inca is wholly admirable

Real shame Nicanor made that blunder at the last, he would certainly have beeneplaced without that and was cruising coming up to that jump. I backed Aitmatov W&P - he went out very suddenly, wonder what was up there? Fitness or something else?

He's done that before HS so probably bleeds though hopefully TS or one of our other Irish contributors could shed more light.

Very encouraging run from Nicanor - I suppose there's a certain logic in keeping him as a novice over fences for next season, but it's just a shame - albeit it makes sense - that Meade has to be patient when you wonder what he could be if he wasn't made of glass. Travels like such a good horse.

I mean, will he want a huge yard, and all that that entails, Cantoris?
He'll add five or ten boxes every now and again if there is demand but in the current climate, he's happy with 50-60 horses in the yard. Staff was always his constraint and no problem getting good staff now.....just getting good owners that pay is the problem!! A good performance from Big Zeb today although he expected him to run well when I was in the yard sat.

Thanks Cantorius - I hadn't clocked that he had so many horses already tbh!
- the very best of luck to him (and his owners!).
Better anyway 30/60 decent horses than 150 of which only 30 are good'uns

He'll add five or ten boxes every now and again if there is demand but in the current climate, he's happy with 50-60 horses in the yard. Staff was always his constraint and no problem getting good staff now.....just getting good owners that pay is the problem!! A good performance from Big Zeb today although he expected him to run well when I was in the yard sat.

Has he dropped his rates any ? He's a wonderful trainer but a little pricey for the current climate.

Has he dropped his rates any ? He's a wonderful trainer but a little pricey for the current climate.

He doesn't have to at the moment but I'm sure it will come. the price increases were always €2 or €3 rather than €5 others were putting on. The cost of food stuffs had gone up a lot as had diesel and wages but with all these moderating over the last while you might see a reduction. But at the end of the day, he employs very good people and never cuts corners (e.g. always fed Inca the most expensive hay and feed even before he won at Cheltenham but at no extra cost to us) so I don't mind paying for that. But it will be discussed in the off season. At the end of the day, he hasn't twenty empty boxes to fill like some others and as long as Big Zeb, Brave Inca, Kimberlite King, Zaarito, Voler La Vadette etc etc keep winning races, his boxes will remain full. It's the likes of Nolan and Rothwell that are having problems now.

Back