Rest of Longchamp

Aragorn

At the Start
A whole host of quality racing which deserves its own thread.

I fancy the Twisler to run a good race in the first, backed it e/w.

Peslier did me no favours but would never have won.

Strange comment from Johnston on RUK afterwards saying that the winner can't run in G1's in France because he is a gelding? Cirrus has been at it for years, am I missing something?!

In the Lagardere no bet but Galileo Gold and Herald the Dawn provide a tentative form comparison between Air Force Blue and Emotionless so that should be interesting.

I've backed We Are in the l'Opera. She won the race nicely last season and gets her conditions in this. Trip and ground make this too much of a speed test for Covert Love and the rest look ordinary.

The Abbaye is yer usual pin sticking 5f event. No interest.

I'm chancing Make Believe in the Foret. Limato looks way too short and if we forgive Fabre's 3yo a poor run at Ascot then the 7s I took and 13/2 now is decent value - he's also a possible back to partial lay proposition.

Stepper Point would have gone close in last year's Abbaye from a better draw, and has pulled out the plum this time around.
Well worth a punt @ 16/1 - 4 places.

It's going to be a short Arc meeting for me if Antone loses in the first.

I laid out a budget for the meeting but I intend slapping the lot on her.

She really looked the part last time out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPmK0Q6oyYA unlike Ballydoyle

Ballydoyle has never really impressed me and is overrated to the shithouse IMO

If ever a jockey never wanted to win a race it was Seamie Heffernan in the Moyglare, but his mount was so superior to Ballydoyle
he had no choice in the end and could have won 5 lengths if he had applied full pressure.

I reckon they can't be confident but go here on a wing and a prayer that Ballydoyle can get a Group 1 win on her resume.

Antonoe 7/4 should be odds on here and looks an absolute steal

15/8 at BV, gonna follow you in. One gets the feeling if Ballydoyle was named something different she'd be a completely different price.

It's going to be a short Arc meeting for me if Antone loses in the first.

I laid out a budget for the meeting but I intend slapping the lot on her.

She really looked the part last time out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPmK0Q6oyYA unlike Ballydoyle

Ballydoyle has never really impressed me and is overrated to the shithouse IMO

If ever a jockey never wanted to win a race it was Seamie Heffernan in the Moyglare, but his mount was so superior to Ballydoyle
he had no choice in the end and could have won 5 lengths if he had applied full pressure.

I reckon they can't be confident but go here on a wing and a prayer that Ballydoyle can get a Group 1 win on her resume.

Antonoe 7/4 should be odds on here and looks an absolute steal

For as long as I have been watching racing people have moaned about Ballydoyle outsiders winning.If you think Heffernan was anything other then delighted at winning that race you have it seriously wrong.

Ballydoyle's Moyeglare 2nd is still the best form on offer, without trying to find excuses such as the ground and the third that day has done the form no harm since. She's the winner for me.

Also think Jazzi Top is worth a decent punt at the price and have a feeling this'll be the day when Sole Power finally breaks the Abbaye jinx. Gets the draw and ground for the first time.

I've been advised to have my maximum each way bet on Covert Love.

Not sure I've ever backed the winner of the Abbaye but I'm tempted by the 20/1 Stepper Point who seems sure to try and blast out in a first time visor and then hold on.

It's Arc day at Longchamp today and it's easy to get nationalistic when making selections. Galileo Gold was temptimg in the Prix Jean-Luc Lagardere (1.35) but the race is full of potentially very progressive Juveniles and hence very difficult to be bullish about.

Today's Selections:

2.10 - Longchamp:
Jazzi Top. 2 pts in. Available at 6/1.
Diamondsandrubies. 1 pt. Available at 14/1.
Three year olds have a good record in this race and Covert Love, Queen's Jewel and Star Of Seville are all respected but preference is for another pair from the same age group, Jazzi Top and Diamondsandrubies. Jazzi Top has won two of her three starts over today's trip and found plenty of trouble when not beaten far in the other in the Group One Nassau Stakes at Goodwood. She has proven herself on ground from G/S through to G/F and her seven race form book is one of a progressive Filly. She quicken up nicely when winning a Group Two at Deauville last time out and looks an uncomplicated type. Diamondsandrubies has hit the buffers on her last two starts but she promised to be very good prior to that. She beat triple Group One winner, Legattssimo in the Pretty Polly Stakes at the Curragh in June and that followed on from finishing fourth in the Oaks at Epsom where she was arguably very unlucky after being murdered on the rail when travelling well. Her last two outings at Goodwood and here have seen her beat just one rival home but she was trapped wide at Goodwood, a track that doesn't suit every horse, and very soft ground over 12 furlongs last time out may have been too much for her. A lot has to be taken on faith but, with Ryan Moore riding her for just the second time (easy winner the first time), she would be no forlorn hope if she returned to her best.

2.55 - Longchamp:
New Bay. 2 pts win. Available at 11/2.
Erupt. 1 e/w. Available at 25/1.
Most neutrals will be rooting for Treve in her attempt to win three consecutive Arc's and she is likely to prove to be hard to beat if she runs up to her the form of her Prix Vermeille (Group One) romp last time out or her win in this race last season. Her preparations have gone much smoother this time round but she does face some good opposition from the Classic generation along with Free Eagle, who steps up to 12 furlongs for the first time. Golden Horn is the flag bearer from these shores and conditions are coming into his favour but his high draw tempers enthusiasm somewhat and a similar comment applies to Free Eagle. Preference therefore is for New Bay and Erupt who have fared much better with their low draws. New Bay has won four of his last six starts, including his last three. He was impressive when stepping up today's trip for the first time last time out and this winner of the Group One Prix Du Jockey Club earlier in the season is blessed with plenty of pace. Hails from a top yard and has plenty of untapped potential. He won on good ground on his reappearance here this season so he should handle drying conditions. Erupt was well beaten by New Bay last time out but that was his first defeat in five races and he may have found the very soft ground against him. He had earlier been progressive in four starts on Good/Good to Soft ground and he could resume on his upward curve returned to quicker conditions here. He will need to take a big step forward but he is well drawn and could get competitive under an excellent jockey.

3.40 - Longchamp - Muthmir. 2 pts win. Available at 11/2.

5.20 - Longchamp - Walzertakt. 2 pts win. Available at 6/1.

Short day for Tanlic, she had been winning crawls from the front, I thought the French filly was way too short but I'm after timing....

Anyway, Lagadere, difficult race. I have a feeling that Shogun is the better horse at home of the Ballydoyle pair and now the ground is quick I'm going to have a small bet e/w on him in what is a tricky race....

Galileo Gold's run relative to Herald the Dawn suggests Emotionless deserves to be fav for the Guineas. Very pleased with that.

Following in others on Jazzi Top. With a clear run at Goodwood she probably would have been second to Legatissimo who would be a short price in this, her last run (and breeding) confirm this is her trip. Given the price I've backed her e/w.

Incredible. I backed Sea Calisi in the Yorkshire Oaks and now We Are in this. Both fillies clearly better than Covert Love, both beaten by her.

easy lead for winner..3rd horse the one to take out of race..very hard to finish from the back there..sat too far back Euro in what turned into a sprint up the straight

Last edited:
Was screaming at Dettori when he held on to her but on reflection he probably should have waited some more! Winner is tough as old boots and Smullen is on fire; great ride.

Back