Returning Injured Horses

Guest_

At the Start
Is the Well Chief/Mighty Man path the new way to go? Skip the usual preps on the track, just get the horse as fit as possible at home and get the horse to the track for it's debut on the big day? Ok they were probably not 100% fit, or certainly not racetrack sharp but at least both horses turned up and performed with credit on the day.

I didn't see Well Chief but I saw a lot of Mighty Man both in the pre-parade ring and the paddock - went especially to see how he looked - and he looked fantastic. I'm sure he'll come on for the race but he looked pretty fit to me, I wasn't expecting him to look that good in all honesty.

Mighty Man's connections said that this was being used as a prep for Aintree. As for Well Chief he has a track record of going well first time out after a break.

They actually said it was a prep for Aintree?? Crikey! I'd have thought after an injury like the one he sustained you'd want to go for glory every time, knowing that you're living on borrowed time until it more than likely goes again.

Yes I read that too. It seems sensible if the horse is known to need a run - gave the owners a good day out, won a bit of prize money, and go all out next time! Daly was delighted with the run, as well he should be

Well Chief does go best fresh whcih is lucky for connections

On the other hand it's far from sensible if the horse comes back lame from his "prep" in a Championship race.

No excuses these days for trainers with facilities like Pipe and Daly have at theri disposal for not being able to get the horses race fit at home.

They actually said it was a prep for Aintree?? Crikey! I'd have thought after an injury like the one he sustained you'd want to go for glory every time, knowing that you're living on borrowed time until it more than likely goes again.

Oh yes.... you are scared to gallop them properly at home "in case", they HAVE to be as ready as its possible to get them before they run cos you never really have the luxury of giving them a prep.

Good to see a very very positive result for Stem cell treatment too.

Mighty Man was certainly not having this run as a means of getting race fit for Aintree. While he's always been well suited by that track in comparison to Cheltenham, he was definitely fit to burst on Thursday, and that fact was supported by the revelation that Henry Daly had his first bet in four years on the horse. That comes from a reputable source, albeit second hand.

No excuses these days for trainers with facilities like Pipe and Daly have at theri disposal for not being able to get the horses race fit at home.

You can get a horse physically very fit at home, but the mental rustiness I would imagine is the problem for getting some of these horses back 110%.

Back