Richard Fox

jinnyj

Senior Jockey
Very sad to report that former jocket Richard Fox has lost his survival fight after never regaining conciousness after a fall in Newmarket. He was the ultimate legend and anyone who ever met him could not fail to be entertained by him. He will be greatly missed.

Very sad to report that former jocket Richard Fox has lost his survival fight after never regaining conciousness after a fall in Newmarket. He was the ultimate legend and anyone who ever met him could not fail to be entertained by him. He will be greatly missed.

Ultimate legend? Hardly. Sad for those that knew him he is dead but UL over the top.

When I started out in the mid-seventies he'd just landed the job as stable jockey to Clive Brittain. This was at a time when Marcos Lemos was still a force in the land and it meant rather more than it would nowadays. Although he was a decent lightweight, he didn't prove up to the job and Brittain's owners, including Lemos, regularly looked elsewhere. It was an arrangement that didn't last long as a result.

He was a nice guy, though. Never took himself too seriously, always had a twinkle in his eye and I'm sorry to hear he's died.

Ultimate legend? Hardly. Sad for those that knew him he is dead but UL over the top.
Well obviously you never met him. Of course he wasn't a legend in the sense of being a jockey but as someone who made you laugh every time you spoke to him - well you'd be hard pressed to find anyone else better qualified. Wait for the tributes as I am sure I am not the only person who would refer to him in such terms.

Well obviously you never met him. Of course he wasn't a legend in the sense of being a jockey but as someone who made you laugh every time you spoke to him - well you'd be hard pressed to find anyone else better qualified. Wait for the tributes as I am sure I am not the only person who would refer to him in such terms.

Here here!

Cracked his head on the pavement after slipping, I believe - all those rides and a sudden incident like that proves fatal. He seemed to be very popular with many racing people who are saddened by his loss.

A talented lightweight and always good value when interviewed in the good old days when we had grown up racing coverage on the BBc and ITV

RIP and condolences to his friends and family.

The day I met him he was with Thommo in a Hills shop-I asked him about riding In The Groove and he was delighted-had a good chat with him,he made me laugh.

Some of the comments from another forum:
"He told me that one night at Windsor he was on a gamble but, approaching the last furlong, he was hit on the head by a can of lager and that a chicken drumstick, a bread roll and a tomato just missed him. He was beaten in the photo and when asked why by the trainer he replied "I was hampered, guvnor" - Foxy and his humour will be missed"
"After an 8 and a half hour op he said afterwards: "It took them eight hours to find my brain and half an hour to tidy it up. I am now a walking time-bomb - an Irishman with a brain."
"Richard Fox said he turned up at Lester Piggott's house one day looking for some digs and summoned up all his courage to knock on the great man's door. Lester answered and asked, 'What d'you want?.Foxy said, 'Can I stay here?' Lester said, 'If you like.' and shut the door in Foxy's face."
"If anyone reading this thread didn't know what a character Foxy was enjoy this video and raise a glass to 'Foxy' ... a true legend !!"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8998475221149143495#

I'm sure I've heard Thommo telling the first joke (it's definitely his groanworthy style) and I'm sure the last one's a tweaked version of an old Tommy Cooper gag.

Back