Richard Johnson

Ardross

Senior Jockey
He has ridden yet another superb race there on Spirit of Adjisa . Riding better than ever I think . Terrific on Captain Chris and Wishfull Thinking too.

Top top class jockey .

As I commented on other thread, he was so strong again there. No better jockey in the finish. Top class and hope he gets a championship one day.

As one of his critics a few years back, I confess he has been in pretty handy form for a good while now. Probably back to his best even.

That would depend on who would have had the Martin Pipe job i suppose, and to a lesser extent of late the mc manus horses.

yes indeed..but whoever it was wouldn't have been as good as McCoy...got as many wins..although during Pipe years i can see what you're saying

RJ has been a little unfortunate with his birthday i think:)

As usual punters sing when they're winning. Richard Johnnson rides two heavily backed favourites and he is now apparently riding well.

Last edited:
I might just add the same quotes were being thrown around last summer about Richard Hughes despite him being one of the best for the last 6 or 7 years. I look fnrward to the day Ardross lands a touch on a Tom Queally ridden winner so he can say he has improved too! He's won 7 Group 1s and he will have 10+ at the end of the season.

Last edited:
I'm not Dickie's number one fan and have often been critical of him on here but he does seem to be enjoying himself in Ireland this week (and who wouldn't:<3:).

Keeps getting plenty of rides and plenty of winners so he must be pleasing some.

Oh! and I have to say he is very supportive of the Cheltenham preview evenings that my mate Kevin organizes here in the Rhondda Valley, thanks Richard.

Last edited:
Lets put the Queally adoration/bashing in perspective - he is a good, competent jockey but no more - for example, Moore, Fallon (back in the day) and Dettori (more often that anyone) are often the difference in winning races they perhaps shouldn't - this is not the case with Queally who wins most of the races he should, but is not impervious to a clanger or 2. How many Group 1s he wins is irrelevant and reduces the argument to a level it can't continue at.

I might just add the same quotes were being thrown around last summer about Richard Hughes despite him being one of the best for the last 6 or 7 years. I look fnrward to the day Ardross lands a touch on a Tom Queally ridden winner so he can say he has improved too! He's won 7 Group 1s and he will have 10+ at the end of the season.

from Flatstats site..Queally has won 10 G1's according to their stats..these don't include Irish races

10/36

A/E = 1.77

good Average /Expected figures

his G1-G3 wins on Flatsats are the same as shown on RP site..24 wins

Last edited:
Spirit of Adjisa a well backed favourite ??? Hughes is definitely riding with far more confidence free of the stresses of the Abdulla job and far better generally . Queally is limited - end of

Richard Johnson's luck seems to have improved of late - he's not decking as many as he used to. He still wants to be getting a hold of their head over obstacles though rather than leaving his bloody reins dangling everywhere like washing lines. It makes me cringe - or yell in frustration - watching him over each fence, especially in a finish.

Yes, got to agree with that, Shadz. I assume it's his idea of letting them sort things out for themselves, but, having had a hold of them, he's then letting them become unbalanced. Okay, fair enough, if you really can't see a stride and can't make your mind up, sit tight with eyes closed, and leave the horse to fend for itself (and you). Chances are 50-50. But what you say is true - he's got loads of time to collect them up and present them confidently, so why doesn't he? Every beginner rider knows you don't just sit passively, you control the horse. So, has he always had this not very good habit, or is it more recent? And maybe that's got something to do with why he's not a multiple champion!

Last edited:
He's been in the habit of doing do for years, Kri. I'm sure watching him is where Sam Thomas picked up the idea a few years ago! It drives me mad, for all the reasons you put.

Last edited:
Yes, got to agree with that, Shadz. I assume it's his idea of letting them sort things out for themselves, but, having had a hold of them, he's then letting them become unbalanced. Okay, fair enough, if you really can't see a stride and can't make your mind up, sit tight with eyes closed, and leave the horse to fend for itself (and you). Chances are 50-50. But what you say is true - he's got loads of time to collect them up and present them confidently, so why doesn't he? Every beginner rider knows you don't just sit passively, you control the horse. So, has he always had this not very good habit, or is it more recent? And maybe that's got something to do with why he's not a multiple champion!

Theres only one reason he is not a multiple champion and thats Tony McCoy. Richard has ridden plenty of winners for me and I am a very big fan

Back