Richard Quinn's Ride

Colin Phillips

At the Start
Any thoughts on the ride that Richard Quinn gave Autumn Blades the 2/7 favourite for the second race at Folkestone yesterday?

The horse was very keen and under restraint was wandering about quite a bit. Quinn eventually got him on to the stand rail and the horse looked to have the race at his mercy entering the final furlong but Quinn insisted on holding on to him until the last possible moment and even though the horse did get up in a photo it looked touch and go at one moment.

My instant reaction was that Quinn was showboating (I still think that, to some extent he was) but Luke Harvey and Chaparse were very quick to jump to his defence.

Luke saying that it was a masterful ride and Chaparse nominating it for 'Ride of the Week'.

Of course, Chaparse couldn't leave it at that, quoting a post from the Betfair Forum suggesting that if Quinn had lost the race he would have had a month ban, Chaparse commenting along the lines of, "..........if anyone considers that was a bad ride by Quinny, then they know absolutely nothing about racing...". Typically understated stuff.

I agree with Luke and Chaparse, for what it's worth. The horse was an absolutely nightmare ride and obviously needs to be covered up as long as poss. Wasn't that his first win? - clearly a very difficult horse to place and then to ride to success - you'd need someone very experrienced.

I only had a teensy doubt that Quinny would get up LOL - and if that Betfair punter thinks it was easy to control that horse at all, he clearly does know nothing about riding horses - which is what the game is about after all!

Hardly ride of the week given what happened at Doncaster, but I thought it was a very good ride on a horse desperate to hang his chance away; the move to the rail wasn't obvious and may have won the race. He was always going to win in the last 100 yards.

Fair cop! I still think any jockey that tries to come from behind in a big field down the rail at Kempton is asking for trouble.

That's generally the non-triers technique Gamla - see Jerry O'Dwyer get a dream run up the rail this time last year on Race The Moon, 3rd at 50/1 - boss must have been gutted ;)

Anyone seen Winston's ride on the Stoutel horse yesterday? Colony or something?

It was disgraceful.

Who buys for Highclere because they seem to have plenty. Audit was the same, Conquest, Crete and Formation off the top off my head this season are all ungenuine.

Back