Rik Mayall - RIP

dvds2000

Gone But Not Forgotten
Genuinely shocked at the news Rik Mayall has died, aged 56. Grew up on his comedy, Young Ones, Bottom etc and don't think I'll ever tire of watching Drop Dead Fred, theres not many films you can watch on release, and watch it with your kids 20 odd years later and everyone still find it funny

RIP Rik

Grew up watching his comedy, loved Bottom and I remember his character Kevin Turvey very well, shocked to hear the news 56 is no age.

Could never laugh at The Young Ones. Puerile sh1te masquerading as alternative comedy. Yes it was alternative in the sense that it was an alternative to funny.

I did quite like The New Statesman, though.

Leaving all that aside, 56 is no age, ffs. I'm older than that.

Could never laugh at The Young Ones. Puerile sh1te masquerading as alternative comedy. Yes it was alternative in the sense that it was an alternative to funny.

The University Challenge episode was really funny though - will always remember Toxeth O'Grady -but generally TYO was a bit hit and miss. The New Statesman was very, very good, and he played it brilliantly.
Flash by name, Flash by nature.

Actor and long-time friend Adrian Edmondson said of Rik Mayall: "There were times when Rik and I were writing together when we almost died laughing. They were some of the most carefree stupid days I ever had, and I feel privileged to have shared them with him.
"And now he's died for real. Without me. Selfish b*****d."

Probably why you didnt find it funny ;)

What shows how popular he was to me is the fact that I have yet to see any trolling comments you usually get on social media/forums when a celeb dies.

I always respected him as 'un homme serieux' intelligent with a lot of gravitas. BUT. As a 20 something Thatcher hating, free thinking hairy radical in the early 80's I should have loved The Young Ones but thought it gak. Of course I pretended to laugh in front of my friends so I could pretend to be 'right on' - but if it came on and I was on my own I'd switch to Corrie.

Same goes for Monty Python's Flying Circus. There - I've said it.

Saw him live in early 90s at a club in Usk Newport. He was amazing and did far too little in the last few years. Him and Edmonson, like so many great double acts one funny and one not.

Grew up on Bottom, The Young Ones & Filthy, Rich & Catflap. The former probably the best. The Young ones was quite strange really. Definitely what you'd call 'alternative'. The latter a program I hardly ever see mentioned but it was very good.

Bottom my all time favourite comedy - I know almost all the scripts off by heart. RIP Rik - a true legend of comedy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I quite liked the young ones but could hardly see why some went so wild about it. I didnt like his other stuff much frankly. He left me a bit cold in truth

Far too young though. Seems like he as genuinely liked

Last edited:
Never like The Young Ones, I was in High School at the time and it seemed to be the "in thing" but he was the only good one in it and out of that generation of "alternative comedians" only him and Dawn French cut the mustard for me.

I didn't recall him having the serious accident in the quad bike. Was he left in a wheel chair?

No I didn't know about this..then I saw some recent clips of him in a whhelchair and assumed that was because of the accident...but he wasn't confined to wheelchair...this from wikipaedia covers it:

On 9 April 1998, Mayall was injured after crashing a quad bike near his home in Devon.[33] Mayall's daughter Bonnie and her cousin had asked him to take them for a ride on the bike—a Christmas gift from his wife—but he refused because it was raining, and he later went alone.[34] Mayall's wife Barbara looked out of the window and saw him lying on the ground with the bike. Believing he was joking, she initially left him for a few minutes. Mayall was airlifted to Plymouth's Derriford Hospital, with two haematomas and a fractured skull. During the following 96 hours, he was kept sedated to prevent movement which could cause pressure on his brain. His family was warned that he could die or have brain damage.[35] He was in a coma for several days.
After five days doctors felt it safe to bring Mayall back to consciousness. In his 2005 spoof biography, Mayall claims that he "rose from the dead". During Mayall's hospitalisation, The Comic Strip special, Four Men in a Car, was broadcast for the first time. The film involves Mayall's character being hit by a car.
Mayall and Edmondson joked about the event in stage versions of Bottom, Edmondson quipping "If only I'd fixed those brakes properly," and Mayall referring to himself: "You must know him, that tosser who fell off the quad bike." The pair wrote the first draft of their feature film Guest House Paradiso while Mayall was still hospitalised. They planned to co-direct, but Edmondson took on the duties himself. Mayall returned to work doing voice-overs. His first post-accident acting job was in the 1998 Jonathan Creek Christmas special, as DI Gideon Pryke, a role he reprised in 2013.

I'm 58..and I liked the young ones a lot..you old fuddy duddy DO:)

my fav character from then that he did was Kevin Turvey..ingenious creation he was

i'm sure the world is a little sadder place without him...RIP Rik

Last edited:
This was sent to a welsh fan who wrote to him asking for an autograph :D

mayall.JPG

The young ones was fantastic me and my mates used to go over the whole episode at school the following day repearting the script as with the new statesman also brilliant.I remember kevin turvy just before the young ones so was always looking out for rik mayall,wasn't a big fan of bottom or the few later things he did although he probably influenced the genius that is steve coogan..:ninja:

Back