RIP Merlin The Magician

That's a real shock. His name often appears on my FB page. I'd no idea he was ill.

May he rest in peace.

Jeezus. Sorry to hear this too.

I didn’t know MTM at all, but his was one of the first names I learned, when I first stated using racing forums back in 2002 (or whenever it was), and he was a stalwart at keeping the Jokes thread going on here.

RIP.

So sorry to hear about this. Although I didn't know him at all I recognise his name from some of the competitions with other forums (Final Furlong maybe?).
Thoughts with his family and friends.
RIP

A lovely, lovely man. He helped me many times with my techy problems (silly old fool that I am!) and we shared many a PM . Brother of the late Cardiffian. As Granger said recently, we are in the main but a forum, anonymous to each other. But there is, to me anyway, a real sense of loss when one of us passes away. Rest in Peace, Ned. Sadly missed but never forgotten.

I met John and Terry at Alan Morgan’s funeral, both were big, powerful and instantly likeable men - solid individuals in both senses. John was outspoken about what he perceived to be wrong and wasn’t prepared to concede to political correctness. I can say that because he definitely was the type of man who would stand with the underdog whatever their complexion.
I’m very sorry to hear of his passing and my heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

I met John and Terry at Alan Morgan’s funeral, both were big, powerful and instantly likeable men - solid individuals in both senses. John was outspoken about what he perceived to be wrong and wasn’t prepared to concede to political correctness. I can say that because he definitely was the type of man who would stand with the underdog whatever their complexion.
I’m very sorry to hear of his passing and my heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.
Well said. My thoughts and experience exactly. RIP

Sorry to read this. I met John and his brother at Alan Morgan's memorial race and they eating onion baijis so I used to refer to them as the Baiji Brothers. I saw them a bit racing especially at Chepstow. John was very kind often sorting out computer problems for me. I will remember him for his awful jokes, stunning floral displays which he used to post photos of and his devotion to Horse Racing and everything Welsh.

I would also like to add my sincere condolences to Johns family.
Since FF closed down, we've had a forum running more or less just for posting our 4PP selections, and John (Merlin) still visited there.
There was a little thread saying that Merlin had been unwell, and was in and out of hospital, but it's still a shock to hear that he has passed away.
R.I.P. Merlin, You were one of the good guys.

Glad to hear your still alive and kicking Ted hope you and the rest of the FF guys are well.

I now recall where I knew Merlin from it must of been my short stint at FF just before it closed.

May he Rest in peace.

Last edited:
Awful news.
I met John when he was a customer of mine in the Bank years ago. We got talking about horses and he mentioned this forum. I joined soon after. He was the only person I knew on TH and he had been unwell a couple of times. Thoughts to his family, RIP.

Back