Road to the Swinton Hurdle

Simon

At the Start
Any thoughts on the race, from you experts? I am very keen on one horse, as those of you who read FF will be aware, but I am willing to consider all opinions on the race...

Looks a little bit like the 2000 FA Cup to me, tarnished because the defending champion isn't going to bid to retain his crown!

Certainly is, IS. Now, I'll tell you why I fancy it. Conquisto is a natural, slick jumper, with a serious engine. He just wants to get on with things and jumping really seems to liven him up. Left-handed should help him, he hung a bit last time round Rasen, and he's won round Haydock before, so that'll suit. He's a flat-track horse, too, because apparently when he ran at Lingfield he couldn't handle going downhill there and that's why he ran such a bad race. A typical winner of the Swinton tends to have a nice low-ish weight. It looks like he'll get 10-7, unless horses above come out, so that's a nice weight. They're typically good ex. flat horse (tick) who're fast, slick hurdlers (tick). He likes to go from the front, but can also win from off the pace and out the back. They typically win from just off the pace, but have won from front and back, too, so tactics don't worry me but ideally he'll get a lead. 9/10 of the last winners are horses just coming out of their novice season (tick), so he seems to tick all the right boxes. Additionally, he bounces off Good ground and it's meant to be drying but they're watering, so it'll likely be Good come Saturday. I am a bit worried about Overturn, and there seem to be a few decent types, but it doesn't look a vintage renewal, so let's hope he can thrash them. Obviously I am biased, having a connection with the yard, but this lad is highly thought off and has been very impressive so far, I have tried to set my bias aside and look at the race and I still think he'll run very well :p

So, go ahead. Tell me why I'm wrong, why it'll finish last, if at all. Let's have your opinions on the race please, as you lot sure know more than me.

Last edited:
Can't tell you about merits and demerits of horses in the race but well argued Simon. Hope you win a good amount.

Thanks, Tout Seul.

I went into my local bookies today and asked for an ante-post price about Conquisto. The guy rang up their head office and they don't have a market yet. I was pissed off as it meant I'll have to wait 24 hours, in which time the price could come in further. Anyway, I then decided to look at opening another account online (the one I use doesn't have a market up yet), and I see good old Billy Hill's are going 10/1 (biggest price currently available), and are offering a £25 free bet to any new customers. Do any of you know whether I'll be able to put this on Conquisto ante-post? Will I be able to use my freebet as £12.50 each-way or does it have to be £25 win?

I do my research and work out which bookies gives me the best free bet offer. I sign up with Totesport under the impression that as soon as I place my first bet, I get a free £20, which I would then also put on Conquisto. They only tell me that the bet must be settled before I can get my free bet after I place the bet!

Dan Breen for me. I thought he ran really well for a long way in hot company at both Cheltenham and Aintree and will find this easier.

He came 5th, ran a decent race I thought, just a shame he couldn't get up for fourth.

Hmmm, that's interesting. I used a couple of bookies, one online which don't, and my local are known for being tight, so I doubt they do, but no harm in checking.

Back