Roman Republic

• Thread starter Thread starter numbersix
  • Start date Start date
N

numbersix

From Chris:
However my big horse today runs in the 3.50 and is a Mark Johnston horse. ROMAN REPUBLIC I'm told is the second coming on Shamardal.

His work at home has seen him saunter 5L clear of Shaweel and Jukebox Jury on the snaffle, whilst more recently he stretched away from easy Hamilton and Folkestone winners Q'uai D'Orsay and Saint Arch.

This horse is expected to go to Doncaster for the Racing Post Trophy after today and the guys in the Middleham long grass expect nothing but a classic from this horse. I've got 66s for the Guineas and 80s for the Derby about this fella and he has done plenty of work to suggest inexperience shouldn't be a factor today. I think he'll be around the 2/1 mark but is strongly expected to collect and go on to big things.

Roman Republic returns to the track at Donnie in the first this afternoon. Any ideas if he is expected to win today? Presumably the 6f trip was his undoing last time? Will the significant losses (including mine:mad:) be recouped?

It was a mile last time.

I done my knacks on him and yes he is fancied again today, but he wont carry my money, didn't show nearly enough last time to justify his reputation and his current price doesn't reflect his form.

Sorry, yes it was 8f my mistake:o

Looks like the money is coming again (5/2) so I guess connections fancy getting back the losses.

I don't see how the RP thinks 7f is more suitable this time? He simply didn't travel last time and would have been beat whatever the distance.

Thanks for the heads up anyway Chris I will leave well alone today. I am in search today of my 5th straight winner - usually after 4 wins I get overconfident and blow it, but I am trying a new disciplined strategy so i need to find win No 5 today - any help appreciated as always:rolleyes:

Quotes of 66/1 for the Guineas prior to hius debut certainly weren't justified, but experience counts for plenty and he should be a different proposition today; in saying that he should be a considerably bigger price. The boys in the long grass at Middleham who expected nothing less than a classic should really expect nothing less than a punch in the kisser should they be unlucky enough to meet one or two disillusioned punters from these parts ;)

The horse ran a shocking race first time out - it was never travelling and was being niggled and ridden along from a very early stage.

Backed 3 ew in the race

Dream Win - Useful @ 9/2

Francis Waslingham - nice sort, will improve but very nice @ 33/1

and biggest bet on Jessie James @ 11/2 - better than Red Spider and will love ground, worked clear of an older lead last Saturday having refused to enter stalls on intended debut.

Laid the Johnston horse @ 4.3 and 1.88 a place.

A double kick in the teeth;

looked first beat today and still won, not sure about the form, Stoute's was unlucky for my liking and was the one to take from the race.

That is what is commonly known as "sod's law".

He seemed to travel a bit better than on debut for the first couple of furlongs - he seemed to be totally taken off his feet last time, though Weaver Shark puts it down to greeness (as indeed he did a lot of today's run).

For the final 3 and a half furlongs Royston was rowing away and it looked just like his debut race until he wore them down late on.

I think as Johnston usually has them fit as fleas and ridden on the pace, it could be argued this guy has masses of improvement in him. Maybe they left him well short on debut thinking the class he had obviously shown on the Middleham gallops would see him home.

Looks to be crying out for a trip to me and would be interesting stepped up in trip either this season (will the Zetland Stakes come too soon? Johnston has farmed it in the past) or next spring.

Back