Royal Ascot - Highs and Lows

Euronymous

Senior Jockey
Racing Highs:

Yeats obviously. The biggest buzz i've had from a race I haven't had a bet in is still Best Mate's third Gold Cup. But the big fella's fourth GC runs it pretty close.

Art Connoisseur. I knew the Phoenix was a special race last year, lost a fair bit on MCM in the Guineas and backed AC in the Free Handicap (contrary to what Aussie Jim says he did not lose his way last year, he never had his conditions again). Didn't back him today as I resolved after last year to not get involved in Group sprints again (didn't know he was even running until he made his effort). Delighted, as I knew he had high class potential.

Racing Lows:

I was gonna say the quality of the King Edward VII and the Hardwicke but they were cracking races.

Punting Highs:

Vision D'Etat and High Standing. The former I kept backing even though I had little confidence. The latter I owe to the Stewart Simpson book Always Back Winners. Handicappers that lead inside the final furlong and win by more than a length is a system he illustrated in the book.

Punting Lows:

Gladiatorius. Worst bet of the year. Felt worse after Lush Lashes got beat though.

Really enjoyed the week, and it was not really a week I was tremendously looking forward to this year.

Highs

Yeats - all class and I loved how Murtagh and O'Brien seemed thrilled for the horse as much as anything. They wanted to make him a legend and ensured the horse rather than jockey or trainer got the credit.

Coronations Stakes...really good renewal and I was really impressed with how the winner took lengths out of the field in a couple of strides.

Queen Mary for just sheer exhilaration of seeing a horse completely utterly do her rivals for pure pace.

Lows

The older horses...unlike other years when the likes of Manduro, Fantastic Light, Duke Of Marmalade etc all won I didnt come away think "Oh I cannot wait to see him take on this years three year old"...an average enough crop including the French horse

Would agree with virtually all of what Gal said (especially Yeats!).

My punting low was certainly Lush Lashes in the Windsor Forest.

Highs, Yeats for me, natch. Fareer, and lastly Caracciola winning the Queen Alexandria at the age of 12. Brilliant. Some other lovely wins, lots of emotional moments with beaten horses, overall pretty good meeting I think.

Lows? I forgot to back Fareer, doh. :lol: The usual drunks and £1.00 each way idjits who block the Tote queues. Exhausting trying to do everything, see them in the paddock, get to bet, squeeze to see race, do it all over again and fit in toilet, food and put your feet up time.

Veracity, really a shame. :(

Highs
Jealous Again and Strike The Tiger (punting wise)
Golden Jubilee Stakes - Ascot getting the best in the world to our country :)
Fareer

Lows
Veracity
Heron Bay bombing what would have been a nice place double toda
Running like one of Wes Ward's later 2yos in the work tipping competition (leading the first 3 days, virtually pulled up last two).

A great Ascot for me even to the extent of going into the last in joint first place in the TRF compy only to be nailed on the line! And if Emperor Claudius had just stretched a little further I may have got it!
Anyway my highs:
Fareer - goes without saying but for a small breeder to achieve a lifelong ambition by breeding a Royal Ascot winner is the best result in my book - theres just the small matter of the July Cup now!!!
Yeats - choked, speechless, watching a beautiful horse rewrite the record books.
Ghanaati - a truly stunning filly - one of the best I have seen.
Canford Cliffs - a serious 2yo - lets hope he keeps going the right way.
The American winners - to prove to their compatriots winning in the UK is possible.
Forgotten Voice - a bit special.
High Standing - not often I back the Wokingham winner!

Lows:
Veracity
The obvious draw bias followed by the badly watered ground today which ruined the Golden Jubilee for me. Ground today looked too loose and I feel it may have taken the edge off the likes of JJ & Sacred Kingdom.
Rishi Persaud - say no more!
Parrot & Wilshire - say no more!

My horses to take from the meeting are (in no order & for no reason other than I think they are nice looking & look to have futures):
Diamond Johnny G; Tawaabb; Above Limits; Chachamaidee; Habaayib; Lillie Langtry; Shes a Character; Mirrored.
Also Rainbow View at 1m2f with a little cut
Spacious when allowed to dictate & use her stride
Redford

Highs:

Yeats. As much in the way he did it - Murtagh asking him to go for home so early and putting it up to the others. No hiding places: come and get me if you're good enough. Wonderful. Not sure any of those associated with him will have a better result, and that's saying something.

Otherwise, in order:

Mastercraftsman vs Delegator. A proper horse race run at a hot pace and with a fantastic duel at the end.

Canford Cliffs. Easiest way to get excited about the coming 2yo season is to start off with a brilliant Coventry winner.

Vision d'Etat. Thought he was done with coming into the straight but this fella has a rare appetite. Despite probably not being truly top class he's quickly becoming one of my favourite horses in training. Another great finish too.

Jealous Again. Pretty jaw-dropping really. Kept waiting for her to start slowing down but it didn't happen. Along with the other runners brought over by Wesley Ward, added a completely new dimension to the meeting which I hope continues.

Radiohead. Winners who find that much trouble in running must have something about them.

Ghanaati. Imperious. You could tell just how much it meant to the Hills' with their father still in poor health.

Johnny Murtagh. I think he's won the top jockey award despite giving everyone two days. Different class.

Lows:

Honestly can't think of many. Gladiatorus possibly. Maybe a lack of strength-in-depth amongst the older horses, but that was to be expected given how many good ones were retired after last season.

Highs

Caracciola showing that despite advancing years he still knows how to battle and win.

Yeats completing the four timer

Perfect Stride coming back from a series of injuries to score.

Fareer winning for Singsheet

Jealous Again in the Queen Mary

Patkai emerging as a future champ when Yeats hangs up his hooves.

Henry Cecil saddling his 71st Royal Ascot winner.

Lows

Veracity's sad fatality

Rishi Persad's interview with Henry Cecil

Racer Forever being drawn on the far side in the Buckingham Palace

The Queen's Golden Stream defeated close home

Native Ruler flopping in style and bubble well and truly burst

Last edited:
highs

Paco Boy shutting up a few rather shrill doubters

Ghaanati. Superb filly. Dominant

Yeats and the fact that the connections were genuinely moved

Henry of course

and the very last race of all.....Carraciola...hes 12 ffs

Even though sprints arent my thing, pulling together such a fascinating field was quite something

Canford....was that for real?

Lows

I dont worry about punting lows, try and learn lessons from them..

But initially it was disturbing to see how poorly godolphin were performing. Some might smirk at their setbacks, but they are straightforward and communicative with punters (when in form)...and thats all we ask for. Good to see them claw back some form later on

I agree about the older horses too

Last edited:
With the binge drinking culture in this country that's to be expected these days i'm afraid. A girl I work with went to Edinburgh to see Oasis (I'd sooner go and watch them bottle the drink) and told me some horrendous tales.

I'm still not sure that the binge drinking culture is all at fault; even if slaughtered drunk would you find it funny/exciting to watch someone get throttled? Fights and stuff have been in the air the last two days; the first three days people were mainly getting happy drunk after a few too many rather than setting out to get as pissed as possible and get loud/violent with it.

One of the major lasting positives from this meeting could be the success of the foreign horses....the success will surely lead to even more attending next season.

I'm still not sure that the binge drinking culture is all at fault; even if slaughtered drunk would you find it funny/exciting to watch someone get throttled? Fights and stuff have been in the air the last two days; the first three days people were mainly getting happy drunk after a few too many rather than setting out to get as pissed as possible and get loud/violent with it.

English people being loud, drunk, and obnoxious at a sporting event. I cannot believe this could possibly happen.

Hannon inept????

Welsh (more in the past admittedly) at Twickenham and scots at wembley....theres good and bad everywhere

Hannon inept????

Welsh (more in the past admittedly) at Twickenham and scots at wembley....theres good and bad everywhere

Agreed. Clearly Sligo is beginning to get to TGD. I'm not surprised really, it is a pretty depressing town.

Highs:

YEATS of course

CANFORD CLIFFS

GHANAATI

and of course...

FAREER !

Lows:

Rishi Persaud

VERACITY

Not backing HABAAYIB after touting her on Atacanta - duh...

Not being there on Thursday...

betting
high Vision Detat
low Elusive Wave and JJ Jetplane

racing
Highs: Yeats, Ghannati, Bronce Cannon, Scenic Blast and Mastercrafstamn

Low: Stoute in general, Gerald Mosse , Elusive Wave and the meeting being 5 days.

Betting high :laying Aegean for a place and dodging the Beethoven and Pires bullets.

Low:Changing my mind about Carraciola at 8/1 to the extent that I laid him for a place.

Racing:Mastercraftsman,Yeats.

Scenic Blast and Yeats were my highlights. My low, not seeing Takeover Target race in the Golden Jubilee due to an elevated temperature.

highs : yeats (my hero)
art conn yesterday backed all the way down from 50/1 biggest win ever.

lows: The godolphin horses (it really is sickening)

Back