Ruk Continue Where Rp Left Off

• Thread starter Thread starter useful
  • Start date Start date
U

useful

Following Cunningham's scandalous journalism on Friday, RUK's trackside presenter and pundit took it upon themselves to side with their journalist colleagues (see what I said about forming squares) in yesterday's broadcast from Kempton.

I know we have done this to death in my other thread, but it is infuriating that so called professionals wont let it go. I pay my subscription to RUK to get some in depth analysis of the days racing, not have it used as a platform for a smear campaign agains owners and trainers.

I really hope that if Noland wins the Arkle, and indeed if he wins his planned warm ups over the next forthight, the Nicholls Team and Hales refuse to give any interviews whatsoever.

That'll teach them!

Bar the Bull, I am merely making a point about the inability of the journalistic community to put their hands up and admit they were out of order.

Instead they are dragging it on by using every medium at their disposal (in this case the only pay to view Racing Channel in the land) to prove a point.

As for Hales/Nicholls taknig legal action, do you really think either man wants to go through the courts at large expense to protest their innocence.

The problem with the media in this country is that they have the law on their side, as the cost of proving them guilty puts the majority of people off.

The fact remains, the journalist in questions phoned Hales because he could not get hold of Nicholls. He went to print based upon what Hales is alleged to have said without corroborating it with Nicholls. But the worst aspect of his article was that it implied Nicholls had had a falling out with Hales.

Originally posted by useful@Jan 28 2008, 05:12 PM
He went to print based upon what Hales is alleged to have said without corroborating it with Nicholls.
What's wrong with that??

Were you party to what was said between the RP and Hales?

Andrew, correct, I was not party to what was said. However, I am prepared to accept the statements of Nicholls and Hales issued subsequent to the article.

As Nicholls is the trainer, and a very high profile one at that, it would have been at least polite for the RP to phone him or his office and say "John Hales has said xyz. We are going to run an article suggesting there has been a falling out over Noland. Do you have anything to say?".

To have gone ahead an printed a very contentious piece was wrong.

I have nothing wrong with the media dealing with serious issues head on, such as corruption in racing. An area the RP does sweet f.a. to confront.

But the racing media picks soft targets and makes stories out of nothing to seel papers.

As Nicholls is the trainer, and a very high profile one at that, it would have been at least polite for the RP to phone him or his office and say "John Hales has said xyz. We are going to run an article suggesting there has been a falling out over Noland. Do you have anything to say?".

They did ring Nicholls because he was quoted as being surprised....but they didn't just change what Hales said on account of that. Hales is to blame here. So let it go, please.

No doubt you are an avid supporter of Ashley Cole through his current problems.

Back