Ruk - Half Term Report

• Thread starter Thread starter useful
  • Start date Start date
U

useful

Did anyone watch this yesterday?

Nick Luck was a having a right go at the bloke in the middle. What was his name?

Seemed to be taking the mick for tipping up horses in a book, particularly Big Bucks and Predateur who have disappointed.

Luck changed his tune when Nicholls was on the phone!!

The man in the middle was Mark Howard,
he looks a nice person and has much more knowledge of horse racing than Mellish or the stupid Nick Luck.

Was that Mark Howard???

You are kidding me!!!!

I buy the guys book "Ahead on the jumps" every year.

He seems to more often than not come up with a healthy level stakes profit, and isn't scared to publish it.

I wonder how many pts profit Nick Luck can boast?

I think Luck was out of order making him look stupid like that. Admittedly I only caught about 10 minutes of the novice chase section.

Nick Luck thinks of himself he is the Arkle of the horse racing journalist and he is not better than a seller winner at Wolverhampton.

Mark Howard, good level, especially over jumps.
His book for the jumping seaon is very interesting every year.

I totally agree with you re: Luck. He is a failed actor, with, admittedly, an excellent grasp of English. However who wants to listen to that? What we need more of is people like Howard who are able to unearth winners from lists of unexposed types of a regular basis.

All Luck does is drone on about his "eyecatchers" in behind because he couldn't tip a winner if he was paid to - which, sadly, he is!!!

Originally posted by useful@Jan 23 2008, 04:26 PM
I totally agree with you re: Luck. He is a failed actor, with, admittedly, an excellent grasp of English. However who wants to listen to that? What we need more of is people like Howard who are able to unearth winners from lists of unexposed types of a regular basis.

All Luck does is drone on about his "eyecatchers" in behind because he couldn't tip a winner if he was paid to - which, sadly, he is!!!
No he isn't. Punditry isn't about tipping winners, it's about making generic comments.

How come he gives selections in races then. In my book that is tipping.

In anycase, I think the point I am making is he was out of order trying to make Howard look silly - at least Howard puts his neck on the line.

If someone who had never read howards book had watched the section I did, then they may have concluded he isn't all that and not purchase the book.

Originally posted by useful@Jan 23 2008, 05:27 PM
How come he gives selections in races then. In my book that is tipping.
It's not, it is simply giving an opinion. Anyone who regards someone who is paid to express an opinion on every race as a tipster needs to get a grip.

The guests on Racing UK , rather than the presenters, are more or less obliged to give a tip for every race.........even if they have no fancy at all in the race.

I had rather a long telephone conversation with Jim Ramsey, one of the producers....I think, over the ridiculousness of that obligation.

Maruco, surely a tip is an opinion.

If I ring the Pipeline and Chester Barnes says "I think Hors La Loi III is gonna win the Champion Hurdle", and tune into RUK just before the off and Nick Luck says "Well Graham, I think Flyiingblot wins, and wins easily", why are they any different? They are both opinions and both tips.

I can choose to follow them or not.

The difference is that Pipeline have to justify their service by posting their past performance, as indeed Mark Howard chooses to do in some detail.

Nick Luck doesn't have his "opinions" tested, which is why I feel his sarcastic comments towards Mark Howard were a little uncalled for.

Thats all.

It might also be that there's a bit of a sub-plot between the two? There's plenty of people I feel comfortable about pulling their leg etc as i know they can handle it, others are much more sensitive and I wouldn't do so. Some tipsters/ journo's are insufferable egotists, others are much more self-depracating.

You beat me to it Gareth.

If someone is crazy to subscribe to a tipping line and they tell you horse A is going to win that is a tip.

If Chester Barnes says on the Pipeline Hors La Loi will win The Champion Hurdle that is a tip.

If Nich Luck says I think Horse B has a good chance in the 3.45 at Musselburgh that is an opinion.

If useful tells us something will win tomorrow afternoon however, that's just simply best ignored. Only joking useful. :)

You could be right Warbler. I think Luck has written the foreward in Howard's book since Jimmy Fitz and Dick Pitman stopped.

However is it right to do it on air.

Also, why did Luck not say to Nicholls:

"So Paul, on to (snigger) Big Buck's. Well , you talked this one up and yet he gets turned over by that renowned world beater, not, Moon Over Miami. That was worth the Stewart milliions wasn't it, not".

Now I know he would never do this because he would never get an interview again from Ditcheat, but equally does Howard deserve such public ribbing?

Colin, I am merely drawing people's attention to what I consider double standards on Mr Luck's part.

Yes, I am biased because I am a die hard fan of the Mark Howard tome.

Mr Luck was being sarcastic, on air, at the potential detriment of the sales of Mr Howard's book.

I don't see how you conclude I am doing the same thing?

Back