RUK - Mark Howard & Peter Naughton

• Thread starter Thread starter numbersix
  • Start date Start date
N

numbersix

Do these guys always just blind tip favourites? Aren't they meant to be experts and therefore supposed to be able to provide something a bit more that the blindingly obvious?

No-one surpasses Anthony 'Campo' Kemp on that score - not only does he unfailingly tip up the favourite in every race, he comes out with shite like "you know, I think that xyz might just prove to be too good for the rest of the field" when said xyz is a 1/6 favourite. Not only that but he'll also talk up the favourite and second favourite, saying these are the two he likes, before making out he's not sure which to choose before plumping for the favourite every time. :rolleyes:

Thommo was in blinding form at Great Leighs last Thursday giving almost every horse in every race an 'each way' chance.

No-one surpasses Anthony 'Campo' Kemp on that score - not only does he unfailingly tip up the favourite in every race, he comes out with shite like "you know, I think that xyz might just prove to be too good for the rest of the field" when said xyz is a 1/6 favourite. Not only that but he'll also talk up the favourite and second favourite, saying these are the two he likes, before making out he's not sure which to choose before plumping for the favourite every time. :rolleyes:

Are you Sarah Palin in disguise, Shads?! :D

(Not sure anyone outside of Gareth and Warbler will understand this).

Do people actually care what presenters tip? Far better off to judge them by their general analysis and contribution I'd say. Howard is okay, not one of RUK's best but far from their worst. Naughton is poor to be fair.

Kemp provides no analysis nor contributions worth hearing. He's just an omnipresent, highly irritating noise.

Peter Naughton's party piece appears to be saying that he couldn't really bring himself to back the 3rd/4th favourite in a maiden race each way, and then tipping both the fav/2nd fav to be hard to beat. By the way Peter, the "eyecatcher" in such races isn't always the one who plugs on past beaten horses to be 5th ~ sometimes it's the one that tried to match strides with the winner before weakening to be 4th. A race is also not a "placepot buster" when the 2nd fav (form figs 24532) finishes 3rd of 10.

Do people actually care what presenters tip? Far better off to judge them by their general analysis and contribution I'd say. Howard is okay, not one of RUK's best but far from their worst. Naughton is poor to be fair.

To be fair to Howard he is also a NH man rather than flat - I get his book each year and it is always a good read/guide to unexposed types.

Yeh he does ahead of the turf and ahead of the jumps or something like that and has updates for the big meetings.

I don't like Naughton for when he commented on my celebrations on RUK when Brut won at Catterick:

"I think Brut has won but I couldn't hear because we had some owners screaming down our lugholes, my ears are bleeding" :D

In general, I think RUK are excellent. Only Naughton and Tom "this sprinter and every other animal running at this crappy Northern flat meeting could make a nice hurdler this Winter" O'Ryan let the side down.

Mellish, Luck and Hislop are excellent and generally look at each race from every possible angle.

Paul Morrison is surely the worst pundit they have on there. I cannot see anybody in racing who he would appeal to.

Zoey Bird as a tipster is in a league of her own, she is the worse in any tv and is in a level difficult to chase at this moment.

I agree Zoey has no aptitude regarding racing or gambling in general.I have been known to look at her with the mute button on.

Zoey Bird as a tipster is in a league of her own, she is the worse in any tv and is in a level difficult to chase at this moment.

Yesterday at Folkestone she blatantly aftertimed when the Mark Johnstone animal won the maiden, saying he was the paddock pick. Would have been nice to have heard that before the race, especially as the horse drifted in the market.

Given her marital status, one would have thought she would be reeling out one winning tip after another this season, however if anything she is usually guilty of putting punters away when it comes to Hannon animals.

Actually, the one thing Zoe does know a little bit about is conformation and she made a few salient points at Folkestone where the paddock analysis was certainly timely. Perhaps you were watching Catterick when she mentioned the Johnston winner? ;)

Back