Rule 4 Applies?

Pawan

At the Start
A bit of info needed here please chaps, I backed "Abit Irish 4:30pm Exeter yesterday, got 16/1 in W hill's and 20's in Ladbrokes :D in W Hill's (not in Ladbrokes) they said rule 4 applied, is that correct?

It seems surprising, the only NR was Euro Import, and on his record I wouldn't imagine he was fancied at all. When there's a Rule 4 it usually is mentioned after the winning prices, and I've looked on the RP race record and on the Sporting Life website, and neither mentions a Rule 4

Maybe one of us who works in a bookies can find out for you?

Thanks for yer info :)

I did get a morning price in Hill's shop, I'd been short changed here a couple of times before and was reluctant to go in but being near the house and I had something on, it was the only option.

Later, before the race I'd just returned home, my son-in-law asked me did I want to put a bet on in the 4:30, I said yes if yer can get more than 16/1 for it so he went to Ladbrokes for me.

BTW, in the morning paper it was 66/1 :(

The cut off for a application of Rule 4 is 14/1; if a horse is priced at greater than 14/1 at the time a morning bet is struck, no rule 4 should apply.

Here are the rule 4 deductions in euros:

1/9 or longer odds on 90c
2/11 to 2/17 85c
1/4 to 1/5 80c
3/10 to 2/7 75c
2/5 to 1/3 70c
8/15 to 4/9 65c
8/13 to 4/7 60c
4/5 to 4/6 55c
20/21 to 5/6 50c
EVS to 6/5 45c
5/4 to 6/4 40c
13/8 to 7/4 35c
15/8 to 9/4 30c
5/2 to 3/1 25c
10/3 to 4/1 20c
9/2 to 11/2 15c
6/1 to 9/1 10c
10/1 to 14/1 5c
If over 14/1 No deduction

God I hate Rule 4s --- daylight robbery imo. We take the risk at the price, why don't they??
I know the real reason is to lessen 'corruption' ie race fixing, all the same it's a pain in the neck
- and another reason to bet on Betfair

You get done twice with Betfair on rule 4's though Headstrong. If a horse is pulled out and your bets on, you get done worse than you would had you backed in a bookmaker.

The thing I hate most about rule 4's is you lose the original place terms, now surely it should be if u back a horse at 11/1, 1/4 odds 1,2,3 the terms should stay, as in fairness they are deducting your bet already via the rule four, so technically your getting penalised twice.

I think rule 4 is very unfair. I mean what is wrong with witdrawing your 8/11 fav at the start for a 'stone bruise.' It just means that the 12/1 you took on the second string was prescient and you shouldn't be penalised for this.

Originally posted by an capall@Feb 27 2008, 08:58 AM
I think rule 4 is very unfair. I mean what is wrong with witdrawing your 8/11 fav at the start for a 'stone bruise.' It just means that the 12/1 you took on the second string was prescient and you shouldn't be penalised for this.
:D

Punters backing win only are often better served by a Rule 4 than they would be by a new book. In that regard it's an extremely fair rule ~ not surprising as it's not imposed by bookmakers but imposed on bookmakers by Tattersalls. As Chris says, it can be a pain when betting each way if the place terms change. When I managed betting shops, I allowed punters to specify if they wanted their bets cancelled in case of a non runner in such cases. I was really quite good :brows:

We had a good example yesterday with a fav pulled out last minute (Benllech).
With no time to reform the market it lead to a 30p in the pound rule 4 and a seven runner race instead of eight.
So those who backed the third Misaro each way with a bookmaker lost out on a nice return.

Back