Sandown fails inspection

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
No frost since before midnight and less frost than Cheltenham midweek and they can't get the place raceable.

Smacks of poor management to me.

I always find it annoying when clerks of the course say they are optimistic then an hour or so later the meeting is off, also very frustrating that lingfield cant put a decent class all weather meeting on a saturday at this time of year.

I can't agree with that at all DO. How does a frozen track count as "poor management"?

By the way, Cheltenham had the benefit of the frost covers. These weren't available to Sandown (because Cheltenham was using them).

Talking about the Tolworth being rescheduled, Cooper added: "I think in principal, with it being a Grade One, the BHA will look to reschedule it, but that is an issue for them now and the problem would be finding somewhere suitable and raceable before the next event in the Pattern for novices."

That strikes me as a bit mickey mouse. It's like a Liverpool game being called off because Everton were using the undersoil heating system that weekend.

Yes. Why can't one of our top three courses have its own frost covers? That's what I mean by bad management. Metcheck.com was forecasting the possibility of at least a month of subzero temperatures at the end of the first week of December. That was the time to make sure they were in situ.

Cheltenham got their card going yesterday following much colder weather, as did Chepstow last Monday.

Snow is another matter. You can't blame courses if they're under a foot of snow. But they should be able to deal with -2C 24 hours before racing.

Yes. Why can't one of our top three courses have its own frost covers? That's what I mean by bad management. Metcheck.com was forecasting the possibility of at least a month of subzero temperatures at the end of the first week of December. That was the time to make sure they were in situ.

Cheltenham got their card going yesterday following much colder weather, as did Chepstow last Monday.

Snow is another matter. You can't blame courses if they're under a foot of snow. But they should be able to deal with -2C 24 hours before racing.

Apart from not having covers, no "ground management" would have seen them racing. I would imagine the covers is costing issue.

Because one course can handle -2c does not necessarily mean another should - different ground types etc.

...which reinforces my point. Why can't they? Why not get heavier duty covers? Why not get hot air machines blowing under the covers? Obviously there will be cost implications but you get the impression they're happier to take the insurance money for the call-off than to ensure racing can go ahead.

They should just come out and tell us so.

Fair enough....but I would imagine that sort of decision is out of the hands of the people who produce the ground on a daily basis for the racing.

Why don't you e-mail these annoying Clerks, DO, and get it off your chest? Can you imagine the amount of industrial strength/size blowers they'd need to cover some of the length of these courses? You'd need every yard warmed over, and by the time you'd finished one part, the moisture generated at the first would be re-freezing. And you'd need the blowers to be easily portable, with a source of electrical generation at each one. You also need to not just take frost off the top, but right out of the ground for some two inches' depth at least. No point in just warming over the grass and not ensuring there was something less hard than the M4 underneath, which probably means the heat over frost would destroy the grass itself. If I get the chance to ask these questions with a straight face, I'll give it a go. Heavier covers? Are you avinalarf? The covers need about ten blokes to pull them off as it is. Unless you're going to buy some expensive auto-removing roller type of thing to roll them off. Heavy covers would also squash the grass and damage it. There is a point at which it's sensible to stop fighting with natural weather conditions and give up trying to artificially stage events.

I'd love a lie-in this a.m., especially after freezing on the M40 shoulder yesterday waiting for the breakdown truck to arrive to see why the beloved Proton died quietly while tanking serenely past traffic in the r/h lane. After some 90-odd minutes, turned out to be that a fuse had broken loose. But Plumpton HAS used frost covers and still has to inspect, so they don't always work to the point where you're guaranteed a go. Next inspection is in a few minutes at 9.00 - I bet we'll race as they've already lost the Cenkos meeting, and this is another biggie in income terms.

It will be out of the hands of the ground staff, of course. That's why I called it bad management. It's up to the people at the top to get things in place.

If they came out and said, 'Look, these frost covers cost a grand a shot and it takes ten of them to cover an acre and we've x acres to cover, and we only make £y per meeting so the whole idea is financially impracticable' people would just accept that, I reckon.

We'd just get to the stage when we'd expect racing to be abandoned, which I think we did 30 years ago.

It would probably also mean we don't fully appreciate the efforts of those tracks that do manage to combat adverse weather conditions. I'd say those are the tracks that deserve more support and sponsorship.

...which reinforces my point. Why can't they? Why not get heavier duty covers? Why not get hot air machines blowing under the covers? Obviously there will be cost implications but you get the impression they're happier to take the insurance money for the call-off than to ensure racing can go ahead.

They should just come out and tell us so.

And my money's on you being the first on here complaining bitterly about the cost of racecourse entry fees going up if all courses do have to invest in their own set of frost prevention covers....

I completely understand why you can't race on a frozen track but what exactly does a frost do to the ground?

It serves them right for running "races" over ridiculous trips like 3m 5f. Too much ground to cover.

Hurdles should be 6f, Chases not more than a mile.

They could use All Weather too.

And my money's on you being the first on here complaining bitterly about the cost of racecourse entry fees going up if all courses do have to invest in their own set of frost prevention covers....

In the first place, I wouldn't because I don't go racing, so less of the narky shite, SS.

They aren't linked.

If we did away with bookmakers there would be enough money going around for every course the length and breadth of the country to have anti-frost facilities and still have minimum prize money of £10k per race.

Prospects do not look good...from the RP..

Weather prospects for the coming week

By RACING POST STAFF 3:16PM 3 JAN 2010
MONDAY

Lingfield: ABANDONED

Wetherby: ABANDONED

TUESDAY

Leicester: Inspection 8am Monday. Course crossings frozen in places and clerk of the course Jimmy Stevenson said: "It is not looking good.".

Taunton: ABANDONED

WEDNESDAY

Hexham: Inspection 7.30am Monday. 18 inches of snow on track and clerk of the course James Armstrong reckons it 'will take a miracle' for racing to go ahead, given the forecast.

Southwell: Inspection 12 noon Monday. Frozen in places. Clerk of the course Roderick Duncan said on Sunday: "I am quite pessimistic. When I walked the course after racing on Saturday I thought we might get away with it but it went down to -4.5C last night and the forecast is not good."

THURSDAY

Huntingdon: Frozen in places. Clerk of the course Andrew Morris said: "If the forecast is accurate, prospects are pretty bleak. The forecast is for strengthening frosts as the week goes on, coupled with very low daytime temperatures."

Ludlow: Inspection 2pm Tuesday. Clerk of the course Bob Davies said: "If the forecast is right we have no chance. We have only had two nights without frost since our last meeting on December 17."

Thurles: Track still frozen on Sunday after temperature fell to -8C overnight. Manager Pierce Molony said: "We are expecting a lot more frost over the next few nights, so prospects of racing remain very poor."

FRIDAY

Bangor: Frozen in places. Clerk of the course Ed Gretton said: "It is vaguely unpromising - we need the weather to be better than the forecast suggests it is going to be."

Fontwell: Track frozen. Clerk of the course Ed Arkell said: "We have had the take-offs and landings covered since Thursday but the forecast is for a cold week, with -3C to -5C overnight, and we will just have to see what happens."

SATURDAY

Ffos Las: Track under a light covering of frozen snow.

Sedgefield: Track under three inches of snow. Charlie Moore said: "We need a change in the weather pattern. There is the possibility of more snow today and tomorrow and it will be fairly cold for much of the week - there is a little glimmer towards the end of the week but it is only a glimmer."

Wincanton: Frozen in places, with frosts forecast up to Friday.

Punchestown: Unraceable on Sunday. Course spokesman Richie Galway said: "We put the track back after Thursday's meeting, so if we get a thaw it shouldn't take long for it to be raceable. But the forecast is for more frost, so we can only wait and hope that conditions improve later in the week."

SUNDAY

Hereford: Track frozen. Clerk of the course Katie Stephens said: "Prospects are pretty grim at the moment. It has been unraceable since December 29 and the chances of the frost coming out of the ground look quite slim unless there is a change in the forecast."

I did speak to the chap heading up the contractors who provide the sheets - just for you, DO, so don't get arsey with me.

The sheets are made of a flexible woven black plastic, like a lightweight but still fairly dense mesh. You can hold them up to the light and see through them, so they admit air, light and rain. They are, however, only good as frost protectors up to -4 degrees, beyond that, you're unlikely to get the protection you need, although he did say it would depend on how long the Clerk had grown the grass. As I've said before, the BHA recommends not less than six inches for NH and not less than a four-inch crop for the Flat, but some courses' growth is better than others. If the course hasn't been well cared for (and Plumpton has) then you may well end up with a very patchy surface in serious frost, as some parts would repel the stuff with the mesh and a good spread of grass, while others, cut or grown less well, wouldn't. (I would say it's like the difference between Richard Aldous now at Brighton, with good fields of runners in spite of the course's tricks, and the going produced by ex-Clerk Geoff Stickells, where the cut was often too short, the grass too thin, and the result was micro-fields.) The frost sits on the top of the sheet, as it sits on the top of anything, but doesn't work its way through, thus ensuring that it gets rolled up and off when the sheets are dragged off the ground. I tested the difference between the outside rails going and the parts where the sheets had been, and the sheeted portion was soft and spongey underfoot, giving a strong imprint and, like last meeting, a 'scalped' divot rather than an entirely pulled-up one. The feel under the good thick and long cut of grass on the unsheeted area was significantly firmer.

The sheets were hired by Cheltenham yesterday and worked by the same team which was hired for Plumpton. There were approximately 24 contracted staff working: sheet rollers of 3 per several sheets, a chap with a (hired) Loadall to pick them up with what look like pincers, and place the rolled sheets onto a Merlot with two front prongs. The Merlot then transported a number of these to a huge low-loader lorry with pivoting cab. The bigger Merlot (used at Chelt) will pick up to 4 tons in a shot, but today's was a wuss, only able to hoist up to 1.5 tons.

The sheets are also used for football pitches - up to 22 sheets will cover a pitch. Hot air blowers are used around the pitch under special tents which have to be erected. The blowers aren't used out in the open and the cost would be phenomenal around a course, especially one of Chelt's or Sandown's size. It would also be impossible due to the need to station several blowers all around the course, under tents (to stop wasting the hot air to the atmosphere) and using generators. Today, the supervisor said, was "a piece of piss" at Plumpton, as only around 130 sheets were laid - Cheltenham took around 360. The cost to Plumpton, he believed, was in the £30,000 mark.

There's no point in buying the sheets just in case you get one meeting likely to be lost to frost, though - they're very expensive to buy, you have to store them somewhere, and then you need the equipment like the Loadall and/or Merlot (the latter coming in at around £40,000+ I think) to pick the roll-ups. You would also need to bring in the groundstaff extra early for extra pay (they generally only start just before racing, attending the jumps) to do the work. And, judging by the provenance of many of them, I doubt they'd be up to the stooping required - all the attendants provided were husky young chaps!

Last stat: around 4 hours to lay out, 3 hours to pick up. The pick-up started just after 9.00 a.m.'s inspection today and was done by noon. The last roll-ups were collected just before first race.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
No, you were arsey with Songsheet, but I thought you might be in a generally arsey mood, and wasn't in the frame of mind to be included in any overall arseyness. So, what did you think of the info, then?

I wasn't generally in an arsey mood but SS's comment was unprovoked and hit a nerve. (Going back to the days of the C4 forum and through all the time since, I cannot remember ever directing any insulting personal remark towards SS, so was more than a bit taken aback by the attack.)

I thought the info was invaluable and I'm grateful to you for having gone to the lengths you did to get it and then pass it on.

Clerks of Courses need to relay this info to the likes of the Channel 4 team, ATR, RUK, etc, so that they can pass it on to the general public. I'm sure if they say it simply costs too much to save a meeting people will just accept it, in much the same way as supporters of lower-division football teams have to accept that their clubs can't afford undersoil heating therefore games will be called off in bad weather.

An alternative suggestion, rather akin to football, is that NH courses that aspire to stage Grade 1 races should prove in advance that they have frost-proofing facilities and manpower in place to combat temperatures down to, say, -10C. No doubt there will be plenty of more knowledgable people with plenty of experience of these matters who can expose the suggestion as a load of sh*te but it is only a suggestion from a layman.

Last edited:
Back